Author Topic: An idea for ash bow dimensions & tillering tips  (Read 22931 times)

Offline WillS

Re: An idea for ash bow dimensions
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 02:55:41 am »
Yeah.  Basically that.

With RD's ash stave, the "deflex" is so minimal that it'll probably disappear once the stave is shaped and bent a few times, so won't really be an issue.  It's the more apparent reflex/deflex areas that need thinking about.

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 09:19:47 am »

In bowbulding, generally I have found it well worth the effort to be quite particular about establishing a constant the thickness taper, only making local adjustments later in the tillering process. Of course, that might not be the only way.

I presume that many of the Mary Rose bows were measured and the dimensions published? Does anyone know where some of these dimensions could be viewed?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »
In a book called "Weapons of Warre". I have been told that it has really good and extensive info, but its a bit pricey. It will be a while till I can afford it.

Offline willie

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »
thanks Filip,
a search of this site brought up an interesting thread with some dimensions

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=26580.0

I plotted some of the data Craig averaged

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:41:19 pm by willie »

Ruddy Darter

Re: An idea for ash bow dimensions & tillering tips
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 11:45:12 am »
An old post, but managed to get a start with these dimensions, pulling to 25" it's hitting 90lbs. It would of been a fair bit more but for a soft spot mid lower limb so had to take off quite a bit upper limb to even out. Just going to round the edges on the bottom limb a little more and then going to hit the belly with some heat as suggested before I go any further, it's taken an inch of set, mainly bottom limb where it's been kept squarer while I've got the top limb bending more, will the heat treating help reduce set? (I managed some side nocks  :D)
 R.D.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:11:37 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 12:21:40 pm »
Looking good... Left tip seems to be bending a lot, but it could be an optical illusion due to the abrupt change in lighting/background.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »
Thanks Del, It's a bit of both I think, it does bend a bit too much there, I'm going to round the edges outer mid limb just before it which hopefully will even it out. The tiller needs some tinkering in places but I'm going to hit the belly with some heat and see how it looks after that. I'm quite interested to see if or how much the heat will alter the draw weight as it stands now.
Anyway, I really posted to show how I got on with these dimensions, they are pretty much on the mark for what I wanted although I would add a mm or so to the limb tips, last 10" give or take, depth mainly, as the tips could of done with being a tadge stiffer as it stands.

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:14:15 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline meanewood

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 05:32:05 pm »
My current philosophy is to accept a 'warts and all' tiller that reflects the natural reflexes and deflexes in a stave which is what Del is saying!

Now I know Del does not like the 'by the numbers' roughing out and get it braced method that Will described, but this is what I favour, in order to have the knowledge that 'in theory' at least, the limbs will be evenly stressed when bent!

Now I know some times a stave displays a reluctance to bend in one area or seems to be weak and bends to much in another but that can be addressed when you are secure in the knowledge that the tapers are even and it's not due to a reflex or deflex in that area.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 06:45:17 pm »
Thanks for that meanewood, that's very helpful as this stave is slightly deflex lower limb and reflex upper limb, with the lower limb readily wanting to bend a lot more. This was also compounded to a degree by a little snake in the mid lower limb which I followed a bit too well and perhaps I could of left a little more wood there. Still, I feel I learned some key points to pay more attention to when working a stave before getting it on the tiller.

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:41:23 am by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 09:33:00 am »
Here's where I am after some work and a light heating of the belly , a pic of the bow braced, drawn to 30" and then unbraced. It's hitting 100lbs at 30". I'm going to fine sand and then give it another blast with heat, and I think it needs a little off mid-inner limbs. A better place to finish this post and I'll enjoy the next jaunt at bow making alot more with what I learned with this effort.  :) Thanks for the help and advice.
 The bow is 77&1/2" nock to nock.
R.D.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:23:06 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 08:14:47 pm »
It does look like there is a hinge near the tip on the left limb, but nice all the same.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"