Author Topic: 2018 View from the stand  (Read 16864 times)

Offline osage outlaw

2018 View from the stand
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:39:06 pm »
Opening day of archery season starts Monday for me.  I thought I would start a thread for everyone to post some pictures from their stand, blind, or hunting  grounds.  I was able to put 3 more  stands out this morning before I had to leave for my daughters CC meet.  I have one stand left to repair and put up tomorrow.  I still need to wash all of my hunting clothes and get all my gear ready.  Here are a few pictures I took while hanging the stands this morning. 

This location has produced my best 4 or 5 bucks.  It is just inside the woods on the corner of a field. My trail camera is on the cedar tree in the center of the picture.

Same stand looking down the hill

This stand is in the same bunch of trees as my dad's old permanent stand.  I haven't hunted this area much in the last few years.  This is looking downhill

I mow a trail down the crest of the hill.  It runs behind and to the right of the stand.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

Re: 2018 View from the stand
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:42:52 am »
Lookin good Bud - Good Luck this season  (=) :-D :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:48:30 am »
Looks pretty good Clint.Good luck this year.Season starts monday here too.
I've gotten my stands ready here too.Hopefully I'll take my camera along in the stand.Sometimes I just plain forget to.The recent cool weather has been a good thing here lately.Probably picking up the pre rut timing I hope.Plenty of cover left in the trees here yet.That's good too.I'm gonna try not to piss around and wait for Mr. Big this year.I'm in the meat getting mode primarily.Just like trot line cat fishing for poundage.Ha Ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:28:30 am »
Looks and sounds like an ideal set up, Clint. From seeing all the pics you post of this area I'd have to say  it is a good choice for opening morning.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:52:58 pm »
I hung my last stand this evening.  It's attached to a gnarly hackberry tree up against a cedar.  Plenty of cover behind it.  The deer have been coming up the hill from the pond and entering the field at the end of a fence.  I should have a 10 yard quartering away shot as they enter the field.  They are eating the clover.  It's already growing but I planted another 5 lbs of seed a couple weeks ago.  It's sprouting up nicely.  Next year I'm planting that entire field with clover.

The best thing about this stand is the short walk to and from.  It will be nice to have a spot that I can get to if I only have a short time to hunt in the evenings.  I'll just have to make sure the wife doesn't take the dogs out right before dark.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:17:52 am »
Cool Clint.Good move.My access to some of my stands are'nt far from the house too.Less than 75 yards that is.
I've used clover myself for years here as an attractant for these deer.Every herbavore loves the stuff.Turkeys too.In favorable conditions you should'nt need to replant for 5 years.Freeze out from the winter with dry ground conditions can shorten it's life expectancy.
Lately in the cool early morn grasshoppers slowed by the temps I've enjoyed seeing the turkeys catching one after the other.Good protein for them younger birds.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:30:34 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:27 am »
I sat in a multi trunked osage tree and watched the corner of a field today.  I watched a pair of red headed woodpeckers, squirrels, small birds, and turkeys.  I didn't see a deer but it was still a great morning being part of nature again. 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »
Awesome!  Looks like a great place.  Good luck this season.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:34 pm »
I sat in my pickup the first hour and s half. It was raining out. I did see a four point buck but nothing else. I stood on the ground for another hour and a half then decided to get my equipment out of the weather.
I've been busy and healing for the past month. Haven't been able to climb much but starting to get better. Called one of my buddies and he was tired of hunting in the rain to so he helped me put up my new ladder stand. I'm hoping it's a good spot. Wish I could have set it up there a month ago when I put it together.
Weather nothing but rain in forecast for at least a week. Probably try to catch on on the work I can do.
When it does quit raining I'm gonna be crazy busy again.
Hope you guys do lots of hunting a post lots of pictures and stories.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:29:45 am »
That's the problem here BJ at the moment.Rain,rain,and more rain at the moment.For bow hunting anyway.Rather have that right now than later though during peak rut times.Forecast is for a very wet october.They'll be breaks in there though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:01 am »
Good luck on your hunts, everyone!  We have this week for turkey, and our rifle tags for deer starting on the 20th.  We could use some of your rain here!  We slipped into the "abnormally dry" category, and most of the state is in moderate to extreme drought, especially on the western slope!  May get some relief from the hurricane Rosa.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »
Looks great bud... finally headed out tomorrow for a couple days, i'll post some pics in the next couple days... good luck and shoot straight
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 05:08:36 am »
Good Luck and Happy Hunting Mike.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Adam

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
I have no pictures to contribute yet, but I always enjoy these posts each year.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »
Its 83 degrees and 63% humidity.   I'm in the back yard stand wearing shorts, a tank top, and my camo slippers.  And the big open knot hole behind my head has good sized snake belly scales laying in it.  They weren't there a few days ago.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:54:52 pm by osage outlaw »