Author Topic: Your Hunting Style  (Read 12589 times)

Offline Wvfarrier

Re: Your Hunting Style
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2018, 01:03:47 pm »
Ive been a stalk hunter for close to 25 years.  This year however i built a tree saddle and plan to use it.   My old knees will thank me
Be polite, be courteous but have a plan to kill everyone in the room.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 11:58:52 am »
I really enjoyed reading this thread.  I personally spot-and-stalk for mule deer and call/ambush for elk, but I have yet to kill either with a bow. Many, many close calls, though--I think I'm doing it right; I just need to do everything slightly better.  For rabbits and grouse, I use the tried and true "wander around likely looking country and shoot 'em when I see 'em" tactic.

I've never tried using a predator call for cervids, but on a couple occasions I have seen a doe mulie take in after a coyote and (literally) kick its butt.  So I could sure see how it would work.  I've never tried deer calling, either.  Mulies aren't as vocal as white tails, but they do talk to each other a bit.  After last Saturday, after once again running out of light belly crawling through the sagebrush toward five nice bucks that were completely unapproachable anyway, I'm considering giving it a try.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:47 am »
Here's a good site. http:// ww.vsrda.org/how-scent-and-airflow-works  Insert missing "W". It's about tracking dogs but the theory is the same. It's not just a straight cone. There's back eddies and such to throw a wrench into the works.

Now that you mention it, assuming scent moves with the air, it would flow downwind similar to the way water flows down a river. Just imagine a river flowing slowly through a forest, the eddies would be everywhere.
Offgrid mtn living