Author Topic: 2018 View from the stand  (Read 16897 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 2018 View from the stand
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 10:59:37 am »
Had a small button buck walk around me this morning.  A little while later a small doe ran up to my tree and then circled behind me.  I stood for a shot but it walked behind some trees and out of range.  It was windy and warm today.  It was nice to see some movement.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:57:18 am »
Clint, is that a field point on your arrow?  (A)
 You guys should be getting a weather change shortly. Finally some cooler weather is on the way.
Good luck to you.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 12:50:45 pm »
It's been cool here. Windy and not raining at the moment. I'm really hoping to sneak out tonight. I got home just before dark last night and sat in the practice ladder stand behind my house until dark. Knew wasn't much chance of getting a shot, but slightly better chance than sitting in the house.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 01:12:27 pm »
That's a Zwickey Cliff Zwickey 2 blade broadhead Pat.   I just looked at the forecast and it's going to be highs in the 80's for at least the next week.  This weekend is going to be in the high 80's.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 03:11:29 pm »
Now I see the blades. About 45deg angle.   :OK  Bloody it!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 07:24:28 pm »
With as hot as it's been those blades might cauterize the wound as it passes through.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:21 pm »
Paint them white.  ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 04:43:08 am »
I snuck out last night. It. was windy and chilly. I was dressed pretty warm but not warm enough. I was darn cold before I was done. Was kinda glad when it turned dark and I could climb out of that tree. I just saw two does out of range. The beans have been harvested for weeks now and the wheat is just starting to come up. Hopefully I get more activity when the wheat gets a little taller. Still enjoyed the hunt, but have to admit I'm more worried about harvesting the rest of my black beans than filling my hunting tags right now.
Bjrogg

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 12:00:39 pm »
[/img]Beautiful  this morning here in Pa. I saw a button buck and his little sister. I also seen a mature doe and two spikes not close enough to get a shot at the the doe. Did a little stalking this afternoon on the way back for lunch.. back at it this afternoon.

[/img]

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
Got out wednesday evening for my first hunt of the season. Got my stand up in a new tree and wasnt disappointed with my decision to move. Last hour and a half of daylight (witching hour) had 2 does 2 lil beeper yearlings and a group of 3 young does come in all just outta shootin range. Can't complain about a first night like that.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
Nice looking set up.  They weren't close enough to step on your arrows?  (lol)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 04:06:39 pm »
 (lol)  (lol)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 05:58:44 am »
 (lol)
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 10:26:10 am »
Haven't been out since Thursday night, but have a couple pictures. I'm hoping this is a good spot. I really wish I had a tree a little further off the trail, but nothing else suitable. Three pictures. First one is showing lane coming from the west. Second is where lane turns to north. Last is deer trail coming up the very steep hill to my right and slightly behind. I can still turn and shoot this direction but might be hard to get the right shoot. Now need some time for my wheat to grow and deer to return to their normal patterns and hopefully get caught up enough to be able to hunt.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 09:33:52 am »
Weather has still been pretty dreary here. No sun to dry my black beans. Decided to go sit in my corn field yesterday. Found a nice trail out of the corner of field where they followed my tractor tracks. I set up about ten yards south of the trail. Strategically broke the tops off a couple dozen corn stalks and leaned a few over where I posted myself to have some maneuvering room. Seemed like a pretty good setup unfortunately nothing came my way. If they would've it would have gotten really interesting.

Two pictures. First one is looking to the west. It might be hard to see, but several rows west the rows run east and west and the tractor tracks do to. You can see the weeds growing there.
Second picture is looking north. The track turns to the north east and crosses about ten yards in front of me. They cross the rows I'm setting in at about a 45 degree angle and exit the field. This is where I was hoping to get a shot
Bjrogg