Author Topic: 2018 View from the stand  (Read 16666 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 2018 View from the stand
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »
I've never hunted corn before BJ.  There isn't any growing anywhere near my property.

I sat in a cluster of osage trunks this evening.  I stood and watched a doe for about 30 minutes before she finally came in for a shot.  I guess my nerves were shot because I sent an arrow about 2' over her back when she stepped into an opening at 15 yards.  I have no idea what happened.

There was an arched osage tree in front of me.  It made for a nice view.

It was twisted and split open but still very much alive.  The toughness of osage never ceases to amaze me.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 05:24:39 am »
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing, I haven't been since the weekend, just to hot but that is supposed to change tomorrow so I plan on getting back after them soon.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:49 am »
Bet you won't miss the next one Clint. Those first shots of the season can be off just because you get excited about the chance.
 I haven't been yet this year. Maybe after the storm passes and the cooler comes down the deer and hunters will feel like getting out.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 05:33:21 am »
I've never hunted corn before BJ.  There isn't any growing anywhere near my property.

I sat in a cluster of osage trunks this evening.  I stood and watched a doe for about 30 minutes before she finally came in for a shot.  I guess my nerves were shot because I sent an arrow about 2' over her back when she stepped into an opening at 15 yards.  I have no idea what happened.

There was an arched osage tree in front of me.  It made for a nice view

I've never hunted in a Osage tree either Clint. Only ones growing here are very small ones I planted from seeds or seedlings.  I haven't had hardly anytime to hunt. I did have a hour a few nights ago. I had enough trucks to hold the rest of the field of black beans. It was right next to the same corn field I sat in Sunday. I took my bow and sat in the corner of the standing corn watching the same tractor tracks. The wind was completely opposite this time so I was posted different and could actually see outside of the field. I had deer come from the east five times. It seemed everything was perfect, but I guess they read a different script. Instead of walking straight west to me and my trail through the corn. They all turned north and walked down the road to the harvested bean field. Walked right past my truck and the combine harvesting the field. Wasn't expecting that one.
Bjrogg
PS like Pat said Clint. Put it this way. I wouldn't want to be the next deer to try to walk past you

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:40:22 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 05:47:15 am »
I think I figured out what went wrong.  I skipped hunting the next day and shot my bow a lot.  I resharpened all of my broadheads last night.  I should be ready to go this weekend if the rain holds out.  It's supposed to be a lot cooler than it has been.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 05:59:21 am »
Did a 5 hr stint last night, seen 7 turkeys and 2 coons. A couple squirrels playin around but no deer. No biggie, just love gettin out there.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:11 am »
Did a 5 hr stint last night, seen 7 turkeys and 2 coons. A couple squirrels playin around but no deer. No biggie, just love gettin out there.

Agreed Mike, even if it's just taking my bow in the truck and standing in a corn field. It's all good.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 04:45:42 am »
These two button bucks are eating under the apple trees. It's nice to have a natural bait pile.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 08:31:25 am »
Very cool Ryan
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
Here you go

Deer by me this morning

Don't see a lot of hard core doe chasin rut going on yet but it'll come.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »
A view from a ground blind. I got a 6 point here last year.  I have trail cam pics of a nice 8 point, a big doe, and a couple hogs this week.
This is the first hunt here this year, maybe I will get lucky.
  Steve.

Offline Adam

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 09:26:36 pm »
Here's mine for the next few days.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 04:29:45 am »
Nice picture from yesterday evening, nice big Fox squirrel , don't see many of them around my place.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 01:18:37 pm »
We have a good number of them here. They can be entertaining to watch, but they can sound the alarm on you if they see you.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2018, 12:01:52 pm »
Thanks for posting pictures guys.  It's interesting to see everyone's hunting ground.   Here is the view from my lawnmower today.  I knocked down my clover patch in the back yard.