Author Topic: reparing a self knock  (Read 3112 times)

Offline jeffp51

reparing a self knock
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:54:54 pm »
A while back I "Robin Hooded" an arrow with a self knock. --well, it wasn't at the bulls eye, and it wasn't intentional, so it doesn't really count-- but the knock was broken either way, and on one of my best arrows. Here is the process I have been using to fix broken knocks on a self knock arrow:

1.  Find a shaft of the same diameter or sand one down to match the broken shaft. (first picture)

2. Measure the new shaft to the length needed to replace the broken portion and add about 3/8". (picture 2)

3. Next create the new knock.  I have a jig that lets me set the depth and center the hole in one move.  I drill out the end and then cut down to the hole and use a file to widen the slot. (third picture)

4.  Carefully cut off the broken knock below the damage.  Make sure you keep the cut square.  I then drill out the arrow shaft 3/8" to accept the plug.  Make sure the hole is straight and square to the end. (fourth picture)

Offline jeffp51

Re: reparing a self knock
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:41 pm »
5.  Carve the end of the new knock until it fits snugly into into the hole drilled into the arrow.  In this one I also noticed that I had a pretty fat pith in the new knock shaft, so I drilled that out too and filled it with a bamboo skewer before I started carving it down.  I wanted to make sure I had solid material to work with for the whole thickness of the new piece.

6.  Test fit the knock and make sure everything is straight and lined up with the cock feather.  Create a reference line to mark the alignment and then put some CA or wood glue into the hole and press together.

7.  Rewrap above and below the splice point with sinew.  I also add a grain of rice as a knock index.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 03:15:28 am »
  Very nice work Jeff...very creative
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 07:07:44 am »
Nice work.Looks like new.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 07:20:39 am »
Nice repair. Should be as strong as the original. :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 01:19:02 pm »
Nice job!  I think you get a point for the "Robin Hood", even if it wasn't in the bullseye, or intentional, you did everything right or wrong the same way (SH) :NN >:D!   That is a neat idea for repairing a nock.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:43 am »
Well done! I like the indicator addition.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:12 am »
I did the same thing a few months ago, pretty frustrating to have happen.... cool but frustrating.  :BB

Nice work on the repair! :OK
Offgrid mtn living