Author Topic: Need help/advise  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Ezra Knight

Need help/advise
« on: October 06, 2018, 06:59:19 pm »
Shot a doe at the tail end of shooting light. I hit high and back. The arrow stayed in with about 8-10 inches of penetration. She was quartering away at about 10-12 yards. I was in an 18 foot tree stand. It definitely hit in the rib area, so I’m hoping I clipped at least one top lung. I looked around for a few minutes where she was standing when hit and didn’t see any blood, but it got dark. She looked to be a bit off balance and dizzy as she left the area, but I decided to pull out and give her til morning. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline helmet

Re: Need help/advise
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »
Hopefully you got a liver shot on her and she goes down quickly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
Take some toilet paper out and put a small piece at each bit of blood you find. You can look back at the trail as your progress and see the path taken. The TP will fade into the ground after the next rain or so.
 If it was a liver shot she will be dead, probably laying up not far down the trail.
 Good luck on your hunt. Let us know how it turns out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ezra Knight

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:20:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies and tips. She ran down hill towards a creek, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I’ll keep you posted

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
depending on the weather(if its hot she wont stay over night) I would go back in quietly and see if you can find some blood. I hoped you marked where she was standing when shot. get a couple guys with you and let one person go ahead of the others until blood is found. If you find blood look at the color,amount,if it looks like it is from both sides of deer? If you have good blood keep tracking. esp if it is bright red blood.look for bubbles in the blood/lung shot. dark red blood with coffee grinds looking in it/gut shot. dark red blood alone could be liver or muscle shot. Like i said if the weather is cold i would leave overnight. if it is warm you will lose your deer if it did expire. get some flash lights batteries some water. I use the toilet paper idea myself. its easy to see and it will be easier to find in the morning if you need to continue the track. good luck

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 07:34:15 am »
Good Luck. Hope you find her. I use the toilet paper idea to. Keep looking around every time before you move. Many times I've found them just off the side of the trail they were following. Often piled up in brush. My best advice is try hard, stick with it. You know you hit her. Try not to give up till you find her. If you know anyone with a good tracking dog could be a huge help.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:53:04 am »
You do have to be sure that using a tracking dog is legal in your state.  I think you want a slow mover.  Follow the rules for your state.  Never thought of the tp as a marker, good idea, better than high vis plastic that stays forever! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:37 am »
Ezra,
 Was curios did you locate the deer?
 Steve