Author Topic: getting bark off of hickory?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline nsherve

getting bark off of hickory?
« on: October 08, 2018, 12:05:13 pm »
I've read somewhere that putting it in a hot shower will help get the bark off of hickory (when it's been cut down late and bark sticks on). Does this actually work? Will it work if I were to steam it for a while?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: getting bark off of hickory?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »
I've never done that. I try to cut  whitewoods  in the spring so that the bark comes off easily.

With some staves that were gifts, I get as close as I can and then use a scraper to remove the the rest of bark. Be careful not  to damage any rings.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nsherve

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »
Yea, I understand that...the underbark is pretty soft right now. I cut the tree down just a couple weeks ago, so the bark wouldn't just peel off. I'm a stay at home dad for a couple pretty young kids, due to work injury. So, I haven't had time to scrape it off.  Easier's not always better, but it might be for this. If anybody's tried the steam box, lemme know...if ya don't mind.

Nate

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:46:05 pm »
Nate, I've never tried it but I doubt it would work. What I'd do is take the bark off with a draw knife down into the cambium but not to the white wood. You may be able to get most of the cambium off by scraping it and putting it in a hot shower might make that easier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 04:23:59 pm »
   I have been wanting to try the steam method, I hate working a bark on hickory stave but all in all it comes off with a draw knife, just some extra work.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 06:33:56 pm »
I've never tried it with hickory, but it works great for Elm and Hop Hornbeam. At our shop we have a hot water pressure washer. You can remove bark and cambium on winter harvested staves. It works really good on the white woods I've tried it on. I tried without the hot water and it worked but was slower. I did a thread on it awhile back. Search " Removing bark and cambium with pressure washer" maybe it'll pop up.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mounter

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:07:08 pm »
I tried it quite a few years ago on some shagbark hickory staves... steamed for about 3 hours in the shower. Didn’t work for me. Had to draw knife the bark off.

Hot water pressure washer sounds interesting tho.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:13:41 pm »
It took me about 2 1/2 hours to get the bark and cadmium off a shagbark stave with a drawknife and belt sander.  I left a bit of cad. for rough out and ring protection.  I will seal it after I see if I can get 2 bows without being greedy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:18:32 am »
Steam has loosened the bark on anything that I've steamed(not hickory) but it glues itself back down it minutes or less. Just not enough time to get it all off. What has worked for me is to remove the outer bark with a draw knife and then soak the inner bark. I use paper towel and a spritzer bottle. Let it sit for a half hour or so and then scrape it with something dull. Repeat as necessary. I have an old ball of coarse Amway stainless steel wool that I use to get the last bits off.

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 07:12:57 pm »
Just cut a sapling bitter nut last week. Bark was not as tight as in the winter but it was not just going to come right off so figured today, i'd give the power washer method a try, for the good of science :) Plus i just been looking for an excuse to try since Bjrogg posted the other thread.

Found it much easier to strip the outer bark of with my pocket knife, Let the inner bark soak for a few minutes then use the power washer. It seemed to take off 1 layer at a time so I had to go over it a few times to get each layer damp, sit, remove, repeat. Results were great but spent my whole lunch working on it. I could not use the burner so water was cold. I bet I could cut the time in half using hot water and taking the outer bark off from the start. Outer bark was too time consuming to cut through with washer and would not let water penetrate.  Best thing about this method is i don't have any nicks in the wood from my draw knife.

Without a power washer....I think Pat B's or DC's recommendation above would work very well for hickory.

Included some picks below. I was in a hurry so left some material on the sides that will be removed anyway and didn't have time to try on the apple that's in the picks. Hope this helps you out. Mike
IMG_2295 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2296 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_2297 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:21:32 pm »
Do you know what pressure you were using?

Offline nsherve

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:03 am »
I'm gonna try it this weekend (if my time isn't taken away from me by the wife). Mine is 3200. If it works I may just start cutting trees in the fall/winter/early spring, since it won't be as hot and muggy outside.

Offline M2A

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 03:04:59 am »
Machine I used puts out 2000 psi according to owners manual. Mike

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 04:37:00 am »
Nsherve, I'm sorry I've been so busy I haven't been on site much. I was going to suggest removing rough bark with draw knife first. That's what I did with Elm. With the thinner bark of HHB I just used the power washer to remove it all. I know it works with cold water, but it probably takes five times as long. It still does a nice job and gives a pristine back. Glad you found it helpful.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline nsherve

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:39:45 am »
Yea, I'll chip the outer bark off first...that's easy. I don't have a way to heat the water, so it'll be all cold. I appreciate all the replies. Thanks.

Nate

And Bjrogg: No need to apologize. I understand being busy.