Author Topic: takedowns  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: takedowns
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:33:22 am »
I used the large one on mine,it is just about right,even tho I usually like a smaller grip.It
is very confrontable  in my hand and it is pretty small. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

perry

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 01:04:16 am »
Have you considered using a sturdy hinge such as found on marine hatchs , mine are about 6 " long x 1 " wide tapering to the ends and have 3 holes predrilled per side , cost me $14.00 each from a marine shop. Have had zero problems with these with bows up to 54# , never tried heavier . I just epoxy glue the selftapping wood screws in place . Dont use stainless screws - the tensile strength is lousy and a dab of  epoxy glue under the non working part of the hinge also  .

Easier than fitting a sleeve and socket by a long way , just make your bow one piece mark where you are placing the hinge making allowance for the saw cut and its done . Provided the hinge is sturdy I have not found any need for a locator pin . There are commercially available purpose built bow hinges available .

I have made selfbows from billets and fitted these marine hatch hinges but its a pain to squre up the ends from billets with only a mitre saw  .I ended up with a slight gap that I simply shimmed to remove slop  .

regards Perry

CutNShoot

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 02:20:01 am »
They can be made out of rectangle steel tubing and can even be reflexed by cutting a notch and  re welding it back. A guy named Juri on PP did one I think last year. Go to PP Paleo Planet and do a search for Juri take down. In the primitive bows site.

buck1

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 02:47:21 am »
Mike yancy at pinehallow also has an oval sleeve just like the two you showed in pic. I have used all 3 and the oval is my favorite! ;)Thanks Buck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 03:42:57 am »
They can be made out of rectangle steel tubing and can even be reflexed by cutting a notch and  re welding it back. A guy named Juri on PP did one I think last year. Go to PP Paleo Planet and do a search for Juri take down. In the primitive bows site.

cant find anything on it......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 02:46:34 pm »
Anyone ever seen an elk antler takedown, or just joined antlers?
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 02:49:38 pm »
Oh, and do you think it's possible to get a Gimbok takedown down to 50-60# ?  I really want to build one, but don't have the rotator- cuff for, well, 50# would be best.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:45:38 pm »
i know people hate to hear it, however if you do your physical therapy exercises for your shoulder it will improve.
i speak from experience,I've had both shoulders done in the last three years and dont have a problem pulling my bows. not my wheelie bow @65 or my long bow @ 55.
my next self bow is going to be a 55lber,my next laminated bow is going to be 60,so just remember exercises and work your way up to what you want to be able to pull.
you'll get there.

peace,
                                                                                         Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:01 am »
thanks man, good to know, I've been back in the gym for 3 months, but I didn't know how well cuffs recover.  I should be fine for something like 60ish, but I wonder if you could get a Gimbok that low?  TBB says they pull like 80#.