Author Topic: Working around Knots  (Read 5059 times)

Offline KamloopsPrairieBoy

Working around Knots
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:30:45 pm »
I need some help for the next step on this Pacific Yew stave. My first mistake was marking out a long bow profile on a stave that would have been more suitable for a flat bow.  In any case, I tried my best to lay out the bow to either exclude the knots, or to keep them inside the main body of the bow - I wasn't completely successful. I have only been building bows for 2 years so know that you need to work around knots in the back of the bow - but am now wondering if it is OK for them to be exposed on the side of the bow. Please see Pic 1. These knots start on the back and emerge out of the side.

Also, you can see in Pic 2 and 3 that I have violated a knot. I think there is room to take this knot out on the back - but - you can see in Pic 4 that the knot terminates in the centre of the belly of the bow.  If I make the bow narrower by taking it out of the back, it will run up from the belly through the side. Is this OK or what would you advise?

I am hoping it isn't too late for this stave. Any guidance you can share will be very much appreciated.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Working around Knots
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:42 pm »
I'm going to move this to BOWS so more folks will see it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:33:07 pm »
Thanks

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:49:28 pm »
I think you'll be OK. The most problems can come from knots along the edge or on an edge. The knots along the belly shouldn't be a problem and yew is good at surviving violated grain on the back. Looks like that stave will make a very cool looking bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »
Those side knots look small enough for them not to be a problem. For bigger knots on the side the best "fix" I ever learned about came from Del. He suggests that as long as there's enough sapwood above the knot, you can drill it out, cut out a dowel of the same wood and plug it with the grain running the same direction. I did it once w/ yew and it worked really well...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »
I always leave knotted areas or places that have concentrated areas of pin knots a little wider. I also tiller those areas a little stiffer than the rest of the limb.
Also, I noticed some areas where the back dips and so the belly should also dip.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
Thanks. Your comments are very helpful and encouraging. I am still new enough to this game that I get nervous every time I move beyond the roughing out stage.  The few bows I have built are very satisfying - but I'm also collecting some nicely shaped firewood.
Thanks again.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 07:40:58 am »
When you start tillering be sure to round off all the edges, especially along the back.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:24:48 am »
I hear those short bows? can be converted to atlatls  (AT) and other useful things like meat skewers (-P >:D! (lol).  Patience, Grasshopper!!, as I was advised!  I'll probably have similar questions when I graduate to Osage and Yew!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry