Author Topic: Finished Ash longbow 100@30ish (first bow posting)  (Read 7184 times)

Ruddy Darter

Finished Ash longbow 100@30ish (first bow posting)
« on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:08 am »
Although not quite what I was after I thought I'd see it to the end and finish the ash bow. Feels nice and smooth to draw and look forward to loosing some arrows with it over the weekend.
It's not that great but is my first proper bow posting on here, (and hopefully should be a fun little target bow) .  :)
I did take it down a ring on the back some time ago and have given it 3-4 coats of Danish oil. I've started another ash bow and hopefully improve on this one from what I learned, aiming for 20-30lbs more, although I've had to do a lot of heat straightening on the latest stave and will be only 74-75" long, it is nice and clean.
I hope this to be the start of posting a few more bows.  :D

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:10:22 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline JNystrom

Re: Finished Ash longbow 100@30ish (first bow posting)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:37:30 am »
Hey, that's a really nice bow! I'm sure it will get you started in the war bow practice.
Did you heat treat the belly?

20-30 pounds leap is quite much, i find myself going in 5 pound increments. Or have you done a lot of heavy bow pulling before?

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:18:49 am »
Thank you JNystrom, that's very encouraging  :)
Yes, I gave the belly a good bit of heat, to a light Hazel colour which worked wonders I feel. I also trapped the back some.
I've been shooting warbows for a few years now and I'm comfortable with that sort of draw weight.
I've had a keen interest in bow making for quite a while but have not been able to make a serious commitment to it until now, I'm certainly looking forward to doing more, I've got a couple of nice staves I'm keen to work on.
Many thanks,

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:28:28 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:05:47 am »
Nice job :)
Tiller looks great and a well tillered 100# is better than a poorly tillered 120# !
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:02:08 pm »
Thank you Del,
 I have to say I have a much better appreciation for Ash as a bow wood now, its got a nice spring in it, good stuff :)

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:17:35 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:17:39 pm »
Thank you Del,
 I have to say I have a much better appreciation for Ash as a bow wood now, got a nice spring in it. it's good stuff :)

R.D.
Maybe 'cos you've made it plenty long, trapped and heat treated it.
Don't forget those lesons on the next else it will bite you one the arse... or maybe just chrysal  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 12:49:06 pm »
Right you are Del,  :D

I got a better understanding on aspects I need to pay more attention to, and made some minor alterations to starting dimensions. Whether I get the result or not,  I'm aiming to relax and enjoy the process a lot more.

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:21:08 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline ksnow

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 12:51:08 pm »
Very nice bow.  That tiller looks great. I've got a few large ash staves that this has provided inspiration for.

Kyle

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 01:00:19 pm »
Thank you Kyle, and good luck with your ash.
I should of started with my worst stave first though, I feel I'd do it a bit more justice this time round.

R.D.