Author Topic: Old bamboo fly rod  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Old bamboo fly rod
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:59:48 am »
I went and harassed my grandparents yesterday and my Grampa sent me home with a couple fly rods. One carbon fiber rod to keep, an older bass pro rod. The other is an old split bamboo rod that used to belong to his uncle. He wants me to fix it up and make it useable again since it’s the one that he was given and used as a kid. Currently the tip section has a set to it I need to take out, it’s missing all but 3 guides and the clear coating is cracked. I have no idea of its history or much about it other than its split cane, the rod has a stamp on it saying ‘Simmons royal’, and the reel is stamped Montague rapidan. It’ll be a fun project to clean up, and make useable again. I doubt I can get the old silk fly line, so I’m going to get the modern line that is supposed to act like silk for it.

I’m curious if anyone knows much about these old rods?
This is going to be a slow project I’ll work on this winter on nasty days.

Kyle

Offline DC

Re: Old bamboo fly rod
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:49 am »
Is this one of those things where you want to do just enough to get it working so as not to destroy the patina? I'd hate to take something like that and ruin it's value(monetary or historical)  by putting a new finish on it or some such thing. Do you have any idea of it's age?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:44:24 am »
I did a quick search on " Montague rapidan" and it looks like it's between 70-100 years old. Tread lightly, it looks like treasure to me :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:03:42 am »
Did a bit of finger counting, and I agree with DC, the rod and reel are probably at least 100 years old!  The finish is probably varnish and the ferrules would be most likely silk wrapped.  Similar guides may be a bit hard to find, but I think they were all the same size.  I would try to keep the patina on both rod and reel.  Have fun!  Track of the Wolf may have period varnish for refinishing.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
Montague made bamboo fly rods. Didn't know they made reels. Nice combo.  I used to put together fly rods back in the early 70's and have all kinds of new snake guides from back then. If you can't find any I would be glad to send you some.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:11:49 pm »
JEB,  I remember those days!  Was the finish Varnish or shellac?  Don't remember what happened to my split bamboo fly rod, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:35:54 am »
Hawk I  used varnish. The Op has a decision to make with his set up. If he puts new guides on with new thread it is going to show.  If it were mine to USE I would check the rod to make sure it was usable  strip the guides and finish off to the brand name down by the handle. I would leave that part alone and then wrap new guides on and use it. If it is not usable. I would leave it alone and hang it.

I went back and looked at it again and I would hang it. My bet is the bamboo and glue is pretty brittle and the rod may break on the first fish.  I noticed there is a hook keeper above the handle yet the owner did what most did back in the day, used the handle for the hook. That rig would look great hanging over your fire place.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:40:19 am by JEB »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 08:52:32 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.
your exactly right with what I want to do with it. I want to keep as much of the old patina and signs of being used, but bring it back to a good useable condition. I wouldn’t doubt that it is pushing 100 years old. My granddad is about 80 and this rod is a hand me down to him from his uncle, that I presume bought it before he was born.
I’m hoping to find some of the old style wire loop guide to go back with as this rod doesn’t really have any left except for the first running guide and the tip. It’s missing the stripper guide and most of the wraps. It appears that they used black thread to wrap them. Te finish has cracked up a bunch and is chipped off in spots, so it probably doesn’t need refinished. Hopefully I can find a near original finish that will be compatible with it. I wonder if chipping off a piece and seeing what dissolves it will give an idea for a finish that will bond with the old finish. That way I could strip the old down as far as comfortable without touching the aged boo, then put on a thin coat of the new finish that will hopefully remelt the old to help fill the cracks without being visible.
After you mention it JEB, I don’t think I’ll re sting it so it can’t be used and broke so soon after fixing it. I’d be comfortable flexing the boo, but the old glue may be suspect. But I’d still like to straighten it out and make it pretty agin while leaving it showing it’s age and life of use. Hopefully getting it back to how it was when my Grampa used it.

Kyle

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:01:02 am »
Are there any snake/wire guides on the rod? If so post a close up and if I have any that match I will send some to you.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 09:08:36 am »
Here’s the two snake guides that were still there. I have no issue givin you something for the guides of you have some that would be a fairly close match. I used te calipers to give an idea of the thickness of the wire.

Kyle

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:00 am »
I am sure I have them. Be a couple of days as I am out of state with my bride. No charge, glad to help you out. May have the right or close stripper guide for you also.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 05:00:43 pm »
Youtube, the answer to everything;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzLj5t4M8cQ