Author Topic: Fun with bow backings  (Read 6224 times)

Offline tacticalboxing

Re: Fun with bow backings
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
Out of the bark backings I have heard that cherry is the strongest and may even add tensile strength.
Also someone suggested elm and cedar.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:06:34 pm by tacticalboxing »
To be a total warrior, master hands as well as weapons,
and body as well as spirit.

Offline tacticalboxing

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 07:21:06 pm »
Am I correct in assuming that the principle behind backing is that it has to be stiff but has to have a little stretch if pulled between the hands really hard like denim?

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:32 pm »
It's  more of a range of tensile properties. Backing vary considerably.  The key is that they don't break or stretch so readily that they don't actually protect the material under them.

Offline tacticalboxing

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »
Hmm, interesting comment Pat. So what would you use as a guiding principle behind what would make a good backing and what would not?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 01:15:07 pm »
One I have wanted to try just for S's and Grins is the Processed American Sandwich cheese. After that stuff is left in the sun for a while it gets like plastic and you never see flies on it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 01:48:07 pm »
It's probably just casein glue essentially.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:16 pm »
Not exactly a backing, but I put a Goat rawhide Meare Heath style wrapping in the hickory bow and painted the wrap black, still have some decorating to do before I post pics.  Opps! , somebody mentioned Rawhide, I think!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline tacticalboxing

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 07:48:05 pm »
One I have wanted to try just for S's and Grins is the Processed American Sandwich cheese. After that stuff is left in the sun for a while it gets like plastic and you never see flies on it.

Lol, cheese that's hilarious. A Twinkie backing maybe those things can survive a nuclear apocalypse lol.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 11:50:59 am »
I have tried bamboo husks once, but they didn't stick. Will try again at some point using a different glue. I've also tried corn husks. The corn husks didn't stick well either, but will try these again too.

I've also backed a few bows with flax fibers. These work great. They didn't add any real strength, or poundage, just added a little security.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline StickMark

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 08:05:16 pm »
rawhide. Why?  Arizona is hard on a bow's back during a wilderness hunt.  I like to thin the hide a bit before application. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 09:45:10 pm »
From what I read, the wrappings on the original Meare Heath was rawhide and either sinew or gut.  I just thought it would look neat with the Celtic spirals and ogham lettering.  I have yet to do a real backing on any bow, so I am far from knowledgeable about it.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 04:29:49 am »
I've used a narrow strip of flattened bamboo (about 15% of the limb width) before. Unlike most wooden backings, the thickness of boo backing is almost irrelevant due to its outer density.

I've only got access to very narrow diameter bamboo, but have a huge supply. I'm going to try cutting and overlapping pieces of outer fibres to try maximise the amount of "power fibre" backing.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 08:30:43 am »
My first bow I tried backing with automotive fiberglass uni-cloth and epoxy glue. After a few shots it over powered the mulberry. The failure may have been more of a lack of gluing experience than actual over powering.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:23 am »
My first bow I tried backing with automotive fiberglass uni-cloth and epoxy glue. After a few shots it over powered the mulberry. The failure may have been more of a lack of gluing experience than actual over powering.

What actually happened in the end? Did it simply collapse? Delaminate? Hopefully it didn't explode on you?
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »
I, have a question which maybe fits to this thread:
How do I prevent a birch bark backing from delayering, or which finish should I use?
The back of the bow I'm working right now does have birch bark, cherry bark and air as backing.
Thank you...