Author Topic: try using chinaberry?  (Read 5021 times)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: try using chinaberry?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 09:25:02 am »
I spray permanone tick spray around the windows and doors to keep the ladybugs and stink bugs out. We don't have love bugs here...yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nsherve

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:59 am »
They were pretty heavy down here this year, but have passed on a couple weeks ago. I may try the spray next year.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:47 pm »
I guess they are coming my way now.  >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
I know I'm late to this one, but anyway...

Here in Johannesburg, South Africa we've got Chinaberry absolutely everywhere. It's normally referred to as Syringa here, but that's an incorrect name. The Latin name of ours is Melia azedarach. I wonder if this is the same tree? Yellow, round berries. Bright green leaves.

I had to cut down a massive group of saplings in one section of my property (it was used as a hideout by some heavily armed burglars), and took the biggest stave I could find this afternoon. It's about 1 1/2" in diameter at the thin end and 66" long. I'm going to seal it and remove the bark tomorrow. It'll be the first bow I've ever attempted from a stave I cut myself!

Side note: How long do you think I should let it dry for? We have average max temperatures of 90(F), with sunshine all day, and a crazy low humidity.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline JohnL

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 04:13:51 pm »
Matt,

You should go back up in the thread and read mine & Limbit's posts.  That's a pretty skinny sapling pole for this species of wood.  The first few years of dark colored growth rings in the heart are unusable, so you can't lay-out a bow, with those showing in the belly.  And since it's a low density wood, it will dry faster than hardwoods.

–John