Author Topic: Deer hide help  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Deer hide help
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
Anyone out there make there own buckskin? I had a question about I hide I acquired. It is off a doe that had been dead for a few days and i got it fleshed it and the hair was pulling out so I started scraping the hair and dermis layer off. On most of the hide it is a green color obviously from the deer starting to decay. Under the dermis it is not quite as green but it still has some definite green color. My question to you guys is how far can a hide go before it isn't any good to finish out into leather? Did the term having a green pelt or fur come from that happening?  My guess is probably not since all the hair would be slipping at that point but anyway some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Deer hide help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:42:58 pm »
You should still be able to make leather, but you may have a stain there where it’s green.  About the green hide, I don’t believe that’s where it came from.
Looking forward to seeing your finished hide. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:15 pm »
I think "green hide" means it has only been fleshed and maybe dehaired.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:34:25 am »
A green skin has nothing to do with the color, just freshness.  I tanned up a roadkill that was already bloated and it turned out fine. A little discoloration and a bit of a smell is just fine.  Just don't let the flies get to it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:10:45 am »
If you brain tan it, be sure to smoke it!  Sets the oils and helps keep flies away!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry