Author Topic: Mulberry growth rings  (Read 3102 times)

Offline bonater

Mulberry growth rings
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:51 pm »
I just started working on a mulberry stave, but I have never worked with mulberry before.  I have removed most of the sapwood and I am trying to chase a growth ring.  I know what I am looking for on osage, I am a little confused with the mulberry.  I am looking for early and late growth like I do on osage, but which is which on mulberry if there is such a distinction? 
Nate

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Mulberry growth rings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:18 pm »
The first layer under the Sapwood should be the last Latewood ring     ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »
It looks very similar to osage. The early ring is crumbly just like osage and usually mulberry late rings are thicker than the average osage late ring.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:06:21 pm »
Like Pat said, works just like osage but a lot easier.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
 i just finished a 62#@28 maulberry  my 3 rd one  i relley like the wood   but  what i did  is i left about 1 /16 sap  on  it   and made it 25% wider than i normally do    after i finished it i toasted the belly  and  snake skin backed it    work it about the same as osage but then maybe a lil like yew with the sap haha  im gonna make another soon will see if i can fig out how to post some pice  of it   good luck and have fun !

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:09 am »
It has been a couple years since I worked with red mulberry. The wood I used had really wide thick rings. I just found a good ring close to the sapwood (not the thickest) and used it for my back. The wood is quite a bit softer and lighter than osage and works very easily. The late growth tends to be pretty powdery and porous, makes a great bow though. Good luck!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.