Author Topic: steaming reflex  (Read 2838 times)

Offline jasper

steaming reflex
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
I want to try steaming reflex into the handle of a ash flatbow.  My question is where do I apply the steam to?  Do I steam the handle area or somewhere in the limbs.  Probably a stupid question.    I will be using the kitchen stove.  Thanks for the info.

Offline jasper

Re: steaming reflex
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 01:16:45 pm »
Anyone that can help?

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
you want to induce reflex in the handle? why? usually, reflex will be induced in the limbs. the only time i've induced reflex in the handle, was with a spliced handle joint. remember, dry heat with dry wood, and steam with green wood.

Offline jasper

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »
Maybe worded wrong.  I want to sinew the bow and want to add reflex to the bow.  What area do I apply the heat to?  Thanks

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 03:12:06 pm »
If the wood is already well seasoned, use dry heat such as with a heat gun or stove burner. Add the reflex to the limbs, preferably by using a form and heating a section of the limb at a time starting just out from the fades and working your way clamping as you go to the tips. The form has reflex in it, with the bow back to go against the form. Use shims when clamping against the belly to the form. Get the wood hot to the point of not being able to hold your finger against the wood. Allow to cool before removing from the form. The bow should be first clamped to the form at the handle prior to starting the heat treatment.

Apply the sinew after reflex has been introduced.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 01:22:01 am »
If you want to add reflex to a bow that is going to be sinewed, let the sinew draw it into reflex. You can assist it by stringing the bow backwards before you add the sinew. In my experience, after 2 to 4 weeks or so there will be no tension on the string because the sinew is doing its work.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC