Author Topic: faded bloodwood?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Dante_F

faded bloodwood?
« on: March 20, 2019, 08:36:07 pm »
i've heard bloodwood turns ugly over time and i have the opportunity to get some but i dont want to use it if it turns bad, so does it fade that bad or what. pictures would be great and thank you  :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: faded bloodwood?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:34 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised. I've never messed with bloodwood but lots of woods change color or darken over time due to UV light. It doesn't affect the strength of the wood though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:59:35 pm »
I tried Bloodwood for tips once and in some part of it, finishing I think, it ran red stain all over the bow. If you get some test it with whatever finish and glues you plan on using.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:15:23 am »
  Bloodwood has all kinds of problems besides being extremely hard on the lungs. It chips and splits also besides getting dark. I like it for knife handles but thats about it.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:01:25 am »
I used it for tip overlays and even after a good cleaning it wouldnt stick very well.2 differrent bows lost overlays.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:57 am »
so thats a no no on overlays and such, even though this isnt bow related, could it be good for knife scales? (grasping at straws) :P