Author Topic: help with osage kids bow  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Jayman

help with osage kids bow
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:25:29 pm »
I cannot seem to stay on a growth ring since the rings are so small as well as there is some drying checks on the back of the bow, they don't seem to go very deep. I'm also inexperienced so maybe that's why I cannot stay on a late growth ring. Anyways my question is will this be safe for a 12-15lb bow? If I back it would it be safe?

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: help with osage kids bow
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:45:54 am »
What tool are you using? A scraper might be more suited. Drying checks don’t matter unless the run off. It should probably be safe even with minor ring violations at that weight, but since it’s for a kid, all the more you need to play it safe. Backing it would make it safe, rawhide should do

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:43 am »
Slow down and using less aggressive tools if you cant stop breaking through to the next ring. If it takes 2 weeks with sandpaper and a scraper, then so be it.   
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jayman

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:09:22 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I tried a cabinet scraper and sand paper. With my complete lack of experience with osage plus those rings are so small and tight I did not succeed. I cannot seem to stay on a late growth ring for the life of me.

Offline ponyboy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:55 am »
I can’t think of anything easier than a drawknife for the task, if you don’t have one, you can file a knife you don’t like into a 45 degree angle (instead of the ‘v’ shape on most knives) then stab the pointy end into a piece of wood and use that piece of wood as a handle.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:17 pm »
use a dull drawknife on osage.. lean against a table with light above..easier to see latewood...

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 04:08:36 pm »
Also, if you get really turned around, make sure you can see the rings clearly on one of the ends of the stave (you might have to rasp or sandpaper it, then reseal with clear glue or shellac, etc.), then start chasing from the very end so you can see, in cross section, where you are jumping rings.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Once you get that first inch or so on the end, make sure you go slow and are working in good light so you can see the contrast between rings. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:28:18 pm »
If the checks don't run off the edge you should be safe and adding a rawhide or other soft backing should give you confidence. Will you post pics of the stave?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RandyN

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
It can be frustrating working with tight ringed Osage. Please don't be offended but I am taking you at your word, "inexperienced".

There are many good suggestions so far in this post. A couple that have helped me are;

Make sure you use your drawknife with the bevel down. Less tear and less of a bite into the wood.
Make sure you are taking wood off with the grain. Against the grain causes tearing.

The draw weight you are talking about, a raw hide backing should hold it all in place and the bow should be shootable.
Enjoy the journey. Don't give-up.