Author Topic: How useful is elk grease?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Mesophilic

How useful is elk grease?
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:15:00 pm »
I made a glace de wapiti.  To be honest I didn't find it as tasty as a glace de viande or even a veal demi-glace, but it tastes ok I suppose.

Anyway, as part of the stock making process I roasted the elk bones and from the pan ended up with about 8 fluid ounces of elk grease before de glazing.

Is elk grease useful? Would it be a worthy substitute for bear grease?  Trying to decide if I should just cook with it or save it to rub down a bow or some arrows... or maybe even include it in a batch of soap.  Don't want to sell myself short if it has a higher purpose since I have no idea when I may get more.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How useful is elk grease?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:45:48 am »
I don't know how well it would eat but for other applications as a leather treatment, bow treatment, lamp oil, etc., it should work as well as any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:35:00 am »
I can't speak for elk tallow Aaron but personally I don't like deer tallow to eat that is.Bacon grease works for me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:54 am »
Thsnks, guys, I'll go ahead and save it to use as a grease.

Mmmm...bacon grease  ;D

What I'll do with various animal fats is use it to sear things.  Say I'm making and elk stew, I'll season and lightly dredge the meat with flour or corn starch, give it a good sear in elk fat, and then put in the stew pot.  Will then do the same thing with the vegetables and/or taters, then deglaze the pan(s).  Also making a roux with fat from the same animal that's in the pot can bring out more flavor either in the stew example above or even a gravy for a pot roast.   I do this with chicken, pork, and beef but haven't had much game meat to play with in the last decade.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:51:00 am »
Neets foot oil is made by boiling the bones.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »
Neets foot oil is made by boiling the bones.

Glad you mentioned it.  This elk fat is liquidy at my current room temp of 64°F...so maybe I inadvertently made a neatsfoot oil? The bones were all lower leg bones.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 09:51:04 pm »
Sounds like a neat leather treatment and rub for wood.  Never thought of using it for the roux, or sautee oil though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry