Author Topic: Horn reinforcement  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Mafort

Horn reinforcement
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:57:19 am »
So was trying to find some horn slats to use as a nick reinforment for some arrows I’m making for a bow. However I don’t have a ready supply of horn. Does anyone have any good sources of horn? Also are their alternatives that can be used? Dense wood? Maybe that epoxy styled stuff my wood shop has? I’m not positive on what it’s called but it’s beautiful stuff

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Horn reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:23 am »
Antler or G10 would work also. A very hard wood would also take care of the job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:50 am »
Get a cow horn, cut it in half  from tip to base and take a heat gun to it for a bit and then lay a heavy weight on it to flatten it out.  Or as Chris wrote, use deer antler. If you don't have antler I have plenty if you need some. 

I am guessing this is to reinforce your arrow nocks.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:49:11 am »
No matter what way made on self nocks a good wrapping below the nock is pretty vital.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:08:42 pm »
You can use lots of things for spines for reinforced self nocks. I've used osage and other hardwoods, piano ivories from a junk piano, and rawhide. I got the idea fro rawhide from Glenn St Charles' book Billets to Bows. I used dog chew squares and Tite Bond. Worked great.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:41:45 am »
You’d be correct in assuming these are for arrows. I would prefer horn as it’s a tad bit easier to work (Atleast from my experience). There’s a guy the has horn blanks that are about 1/8in thick. Would that work? He’s also got some that are .300 thick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 02:15:04 pm »
1/8" is a bit thick but will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
You can sand the thickness down by reverse wrapping duct tape around two fingers, then lay some sandpaper on a very flat surface. Grab the horn slab and stick to the tape for easy sanding.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 12:18:42 pm »
You can sand the thickness down by reverse wrapping duct tape around two fingers, then lay some sandpaper on a very flat surface. Grab the horn slab and stick to the tape for easy sanding.

Now that’s how you adapt and overcome right there

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:53:02 pm »
In this hobby that is a constant.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:16:03 am »
Hooves can be an alternate for horn. I have elk hooves and I'm sure deer hooves would work too. John