Author Topic: any tips on tillering a D bow ?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline sonny

any tips on tillering a D bow ?
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:28:57 pm »
I have a hickory Seneca replica roughed out and ready to tiller but I'm sorta lost....
I've marked out the handle section and plan on keeping that fairly stiff..not sure how to proceed on the limb sections though. one limb is floor tillered such that it'll bend a couple of inches when I lean into it, the other is much too thick...
suggestions and wisecracks, anyone ???;D

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: any tips on tillering a D bow ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46:35 pm »
Take everything off that doesn't look like a bow! ;D   (sorry, I can be a smart a$$ sometimes)
   Got both limbs to floor tiller stage then use a long string to see how close they are. After that just start reducing each limb so they both bend evenly to about 8" then go to a short string so your bow is at a low brace height of about 4". At this point you will be able to see if the string lines up properly and that you have no twists in the limbs.   Leave the handle area alone until later then you can reduce it to your liking.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:03:20 pm »
PATIENCE!!!!!!!!  :D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:10 pm »
Just make it look like a semi-circle :).

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:43:28 pm »
there are some buildalongs (like the board bow one) on my site that shows the bend in the handle design. It's a board bot same idea. Close enough for horseshoes.  :) Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:29:22 am »
D-bows are usually pretty easy to tiller. I've made a couple that you could just about string after cutting the thickness taper. It's easy to get the handle bending too much, I like it to just barely bend, more felt than seen.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 09:36:53 am »
Just do it. May wind up a kids bow or cook brats with it, but thats how Ive been learnin!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 08:11:07 pm »
For me, 3/4" thick in the handle, and about 5/16" thick at the tips has always yielded a proper bend, and the bow weight is determined by the density of the wood. Anywhere from 50# to 80#.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:43:14 am »
It sounds like you have got it looking like a bow but feel unsure about what to do next to make it bend like a bow.
One tips that may help get both limbs even is to balance the bow on your finger in the centre and see if it balances. If one limb is heavy that needs a little more wood taken off. When they balance evenly they will probably bend evenly even if the  bow is made with one limb shorter than the other.
Once you have it even at about brace height, time to keep careful and not get too carried away with pulling it too hard or too far too soon! A little too much enthusiasm or haste here can be one of those sudden learning experiences after which you say 'I really wish I hadn't done that!'
Tillering the bow will be easier if you set up a tiller tree with a pulley. Hang a good scale on the tiller string and  rope through the pulley and exercise the bow, pulling maybe 20 plus times to the draw weight you want. removed wood where it is need to get the bend, exercising the bow ell each time. Keep this up. gradually increasing the draw length, alwys staying at about the draw weight you want. By the time you have got to the draw length and draw weight you want both you and the bow will be well exercised. during this stage use tools that you cannot go too fast with. A metal file and a scraper are good because you cannot suddenly produce a hinge or cut half way through a limb!
Anyway, good luck. Hope I haven't said the obvious. I mention the learning experience because I have had more that I really should and keep on having to force myself to go careful.
Mark in England