Author Topic: Do it again  (Read 21982 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Do it again
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:03 pm »
Ever since I let my arrow loose on my first ever bow kill which happened to be a selfbow kill, I been wanting to do it again. Last year I missed a nice shot, but had the most enjoyable hunting season ever. This year has been a struggle. With farming being very difficult. I've been under a lot of stress and harvest has been dragging on with difficult weather. It's really limited my hunting time and when I've been able to hunt the weather has been lousy. The past couple days we've been harvesting corn. I decided to bring my selfbow "Simply Orange " with me. I saw a buck lay down in a drain ditch. After awhile my brother was working in the short rows and didn't really need the cart. I told him I was going to try to sneak up on the buck. I put my quiver on got out of my tractor strung my bow and snuck my way into the wind towards the spot where the buck lay. When I got to the edge of the ditch I could see a small opening through the weeds and a little brown. I could also see a little bit of his head. He didn't see me. The brown in the opening seemed a little further back than I'd like so I moved a little west to get more of a quartering away shot. This also narrowed the opening in the weeds. I stood there ready to draw. Hoping he'd stand up. He didn't. I decided to take the shot. He didn't see it coming. He jumped up and ran. My first thought was it's to far back. He ran about 90 yards and stopped. I could see him getting tippy and he fell down hard. I watched him try to get up and fall hard again a couple times. Then he kicked a bit and laid flat out. I decided to leave him but I was sure he was done. Just to be safe and I didn't have time to do anything with him anway. I went back to my tractor and worked till almost dark. I went back to the spot I had last seen him and there he lay.
The anticipation of waiting all day to see him was really something else. This just never gets old. I'm so thrilled. It just really helped cheer me up and put a huge smile on my face again. I really did want to "do it again " so people can see that it's not just a fluke. It's a passion.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Do it again
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:56 pm »
Got him skinned, gutted and hanging. It's been along day. Will be another long one tomorrow and many days after. I'm gonna sleep good tonight though.
Bjrogg

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
Congratulations!!  It's rare that one has the opportunity to take a whitetail from the ground let alone stalk and make a good killing shot.  Revel in the uniqueness of the experience!  You deserve it!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
Congrats BJ.That was quite a hunt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15:47 am »
 Nice stalk Bj, liking that quiver also...Congrats
                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 12:50:53 am »
Great accomplishment BJ . well done !! :OK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:25:06 am »
Nice job BJ, Congrats.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 03:43:31 am »
Well I was wrong about sleeping good.lol. I hardly slept at all last night. Just to excited.

Thanks jimmi, as rare as it may be. Both of my selfbow bucks were from the ground. Two misses from tree stand. Gotta work more on the shooting from trees. Put up a practice ladder stand behind my house, but had a spot removed from my leg. It's still healing and just finally getting to where I can climb again. I enjoy hunting from both.
Thanks Ed, good luck to you. Hope you get one.
Thanks Don, I got this Quiver from Patrick in a trade my first year at Marshall. I made some modifications to it and really like it now.
Thanks GlisGlis, I'm constantly replaying the hunt over in my mind. Not good for sleeping, but really exciting.

A couple other tid bits of information. As I stated already, I got the quiver in trade from Patrick. I got the ace broadheads from Matt at trade blanket last year. I got the arrows from Larry at Lost Nation Archery when he donated them to the benifit auction. So there were a few other PA members on this hunt with me.
Thanks everyone
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 03:48:45 am »
Thanks Pappy. Still got along way to go to get 37 years in a row. Congratulations sir. That is absolutely amazing and a true testament to how much passion you feel for this type of hunting to. Hope you get 37 more.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:57:21 am »
Oh one more tid bit of information. I got to get the knife bubby sent me in the knife trade bloody. Thanks for the awesome knife bubby I love it.
Bjrogg

Offline ksnow

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:09:38 am »
Awesome hunt, BJ. That's definitely getting it done the hard way. I really enjoy reading the stories about outside the box hunts. Keep at it.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 07:23:22 am »
That's really cool BJ!  Stalking selfbow kill has to be one of the toughest ways to put a deer in the freezer.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 07:37:28 am »
BJ....I can vouch for your limitations of hunting while farming.Every year is not the same.It's all about priorities that's for sure.Used to be I shot all my deer before harvesting to get it out of the way.Used a muzzleloader then.
I'm limited here too as I only hunt on 30 acres of woods.A deers' living range really is not all that big.Too much hunting pressure will spook them out,but still want to do it with bows and arrows I make like others on this forum.There's only just so many opportunities a person gets shots at these deer at the ranges we shoot.Many others are just plain too busy to hunt.I can understand that.
Your completeing a full year there and congrats again.Hope your harvest is good this year too.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 07:58:59 am »
Thanks Kyle. Actually looking back on it and having it all go as planned it was a simple hunt. Definitely out of the box though and really wasn't expecting it to go as planned.lol.

Thanks Clint. It's sure a hunt I'll always remember and rewind in my mind over and the over. I'm still surprised that I am, but I'm totally hooked on hunting like this. It is so exciting even if you don't get a shot. Just trying to get that close and get a shot off is something I think most people don't realize how thrilling it is..

Thanks Ed, farming does make time valuable. Even if you don't get paid anything for it. I still love it and being close to the wildlife is something I've always enjoyed. I've learned so much about how wildlife acts from observing them while I'm working in the fields. Like people their all different but also the same. I sure hope you connect with one this year. Good Luck buddy
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:46 am »
Way to go BJ
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking