Author Topic: A doe & a shed with skull  (Read 17126 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A doe & a shed with skull
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:54 am »
Around 4 or 5 days ago I thought I had shot a good arrow into a doe.It was a high on the rib rack but thought it was enough to put her down as it was at a good angle forward.I never did find that deer.
While looking I came across this deer's remains.Ribs,spine,leg bones.and lower jaws were there along with horns and skull.We had shed hunted earlier this spring but apparently did'nt shed hunt well enough.[After further investigation we've concluded here that this deer died from what is called blue tongue.A disease common during prolonged hot and dry periods of time in the summer.Transmitted from a little type fly that hangs around water sources.This buck still had remnants of velvet on it's browe tines so it died in late august.It's very fatal as it is non discriminatory killing old adults as well as young deer in just a matter of weeks].
This deer died far enough away from the trees that the squirrels did'nt do any chewing on it.I aged the deers molars as to be at least a 5.5 year old deer possibly and more than likely over that.It's skull is larger than the deer shot back in 2015 and the mass of the horn is more in circumference at the base also.Not meaning to boast any here but I sure wish I had gotten a shot at this boy because I'm sure he was a heavy weight deer.I do get to see these deer occasionally on the hoof but not in a shootable situation most times.A person can see the horns have that bleached look from setting out in the sun.I bleached his skull my usual way.Anyway so much for what might have been.

Now this evening I got lucky to get a shot at this nice 1.5 year old doe.[correction...4.5 year old doe]Shot at a fairly steep angle through the rib cage catching the liver and a lung.She went down around 70 paces away.Used a 160 grizzly on a dogwood off my horn bow.560 grain arrow from a 48# bow.Don't know why my funky little camera flashes sometimes and then does'nt other times....lol.Arrow head was still sharp and shaft is in good shape so I'll leave the blood on her and use it for the next shot.

I had boughten a scale some time ago to weigh these deer.I was a little surprised as to the weight of her.I wanted to shoot at a couple other bigger does that just would'nt present a shot so I just took the shot that was there at this one.It would be nice to get a couple more of these.Hopefully that will happen but nothings gauanteed.The weather is very favorable with a forecast of the same so that will help.I've been seeing quite a few deer here though and the bucks are pushing the does pretty good already.
After this doe being shot in my little area it usually gets vacant for a few days or I have to hunt a good quarter mile away on the other end of the property but in time they return or I just have to wait is all till things settle down.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:02:04 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: A doe & a shed with skull
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:43:06 am »
Congratulations Ed. So glad you got your deer hanging on the pole.  Very nice shed buck to. Understand you wishing they could have swapped places. Got some nice meat for the freezer though and a hide to tan. Pretty sure you'll harvest to brain and sinew to. So happy for you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 05:34:58 am »
Nice job Ed. Congrats. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:25:31 am »
Congrats to you Ed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:57:04 am »
That will be some fine meat.  Good job Ed!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:16:14 am »
I had to look up where you were from after I saw the weight of the doe, around here (N Alabama) a 120# doe is a monster. Nice deer and even better, killing with primitive equipment.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:01:35 am »
Awesome! Congrats
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:42 am »
Way to go, Ed!  Nice doe!   That skull and rack will look neat no matter how you put the finishing touches on them! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:35:08 am »
Congrats Ed, and with a horn bow! Very cool.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
Thanks fellas.I won't waste much on these deer.Like the whole process of making it useful.Been turning on a few locals to the concept of primitive bow hunting.It's not for everyone I guess otherwise everyone would be dong it.Beautiful weather lately for bow hunting these deer with the forecast of the same.
We've got 5 weeks here of just clean straight bow hunting only for these deer in this state now before any shotgun seasons start now.With Thanksgiving on the horizon having got a turkey/deer/and vegetables from the garden along with good health of course and friends it should be a thankful time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:21:17 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 04:41:54 am »
Always love Thanksgiving Ed. My favorite holiday.

You do realize that probably 90 percent of the public is going to think that bow is supposed to be strung backwards. I love that bow. So glad you had successful hunt with it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 08:10:13 am »
The bow was fun to make BJ.I've never been one to walk the same worn out trail others want to.Even while fetching dogs treed in the woods.....lol.It's dinged up and scratched but that's what a bow for hunting should look like.All of these trails in bow making have been walked by someone in the past.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:09:58 am »
Good job with a really cool bow. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »
Way to go Ed.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 09:14:01 pm »
Had one of those Down home Thanksgiving dinners when my boys were smaller - venison from the hunt, potatoes and veggies from the garden, the only things we didn't grow were the pumpkins for the pie and the flour for the bread, but if Iremember right, I baked the bread!  Good feast!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry