Author Topic: Old Bow Safety  (Read 2424 times)

Offline NDHunter73

Old Bow Safety
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:09:11 am »
Strictly speaking, this is not a question about a "primitive" bow, but I thought that this group would be able to weigh in on my question with more knowledge than any other.  I own an old Ben Pearson Mustang recurve.  I purchased the bow in 1967.  I used the bow often for the next 6 or 7 years, and then put it away.  It has been stored in a soft cover, and in a dry environment since at least 1975.  I am wondering if the bow is still safe to shoot.  It appears to be in good condition and there is no sign of delamination.  Any thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Bow Safety
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:45:12 am »
Is this an all wood bow or a glass lam bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:57:45 am »
I think that's a FG recurve so this thread should be moved to the campfire page. 

The bow should be fine to shoot if it's in solid shape.  I shoot a bow from the early 60's.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:13 am »
OK, I'll move this to Around the Campfire.
 If the bow has been sitting around for a while(years) first check that the limbs are not twisted then gradually start drawing it, exercising as you go until you gradually reach full draw, all the while listening for ticks and pops. I've had old bows delaminate in the handle area after sitting for a long time. I guess some of the old glues would get brittle over the years and the joint come apart.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:50:00 am »
Pat's advice is very sound (SH)

Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:21:59 am »
Where safety glasses or goggles until you have it proven out. Just good practice with unknown bows. My guess is it just dandy, but caution is good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:52:57 am »
You might want to get a new string for it before you try.

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:00:14 pm »
Do not put a fast flight string on it. But I'm sure the bow is shootable mine is and I still shoot it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NDHunter73

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 07:30:11 pm »
 :OK. Thanks for all the comments and advice.  I tried it out progressively with the precautions noted and it seems to shooting straight and safe.   :)