Author Topic: moving deer  (Read 4126 times)

Offline TimBo

moving deer
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
Do any of you guys have tips on getting a shot at a moving deer?  Not running, just one walking by you in easy shooting range, but on the move between Point A and Point B, with no intention of pausing.  I have had a couple do that this year, and now that I am thinking about it, last year too.  I have heard of grunting to get them to stop, or I suppose I could just lead them a little...none of my practicing is moving targets though, so even at 10 yards, I haven't felt that shooting is a great idea.  I guess I keep thinking they will stop and pause dramatically...no such luck so far though.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: moving deer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:28:17 pm »
If they don't want to stop I'd say let them walk. I'd rather miss the opportunity than possibly make a bad shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 02:28:11 pm »
I try grunting with my voice.  It sounds pretty bad, but seems to work some of the time.  The downside is that now they are at least partially on alert, so I try to get in position ready to shoot first.  I try to do this as practice if I see a deer I know I'm going to pass on.  So far, I haven't completely spooked a deer doing this.  Like Pat, I don't shoot if they're moving.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 04:05:31 pm »
I personally would rather shoot at a slowly walking deer than one stopped, alert and staring at me. Personally I like shooting at a slow walking deer. My first selfbow kill was a buck walking by. Watch your spot. Concentrate only on that spot and when it's just past you swing your bow with that spot and hit it. I fell more confident that a walking deer will not duck or jump. I feel I know where it will be when my arrow hits it. Just my thoughts. I do shot very close though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 04:32:47 pm »
I agree with bj.  Shooting at a slowly moving animal helps keep the animal on track and hopefully less alert.  Over 54 years of having shooting opportunities at many different animals has helped learn that lesson.  A friend was hunting with me this past week who likes to stop moving animals by grunting then shooting.  He had a recent unfortunate experience where he tried that method and as he shot the deer spun causing the arrow to hit the near side front leg solidly with no penetration.  Hunting with me this week he tried to stop another deer and when he grunted the deer spun the opposite direction giving him only a butt shot.  When the deer settled and continued walking he grunted again stopping the deer but lost his concentration with the other activity and shot over it's back.  All 3 shots were under 15 yards.  We had quite a conversation about both of our methods and will probably continue to use our own differing processes.  That being said, I have had a few shots that didn't turn out well also but overall most have.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 06:18:22 pm »
I'd also prefer a calm, slowly walking deer over one on alert and ready to bolt.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 06:23:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  My limited experience with trying to stop a moving deer makes me think it puts them on high alert.  Maybe it would work better for rifle hunters, at longer ranges...otherwise it's kind of like sneaking up and saying "boo". 

I tried walking by my target tonight while shooting.  Not sure if that's the same thing as shooting at a moving deer, but it was fun!  I do think I would be comfortable with it at very close range, but I will have to see if it feels right when the time comes. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »
Sometimes it seems to me Hunting with a selfbow is similar to hunting with a shotgun. They are basically point and shoot weapons. Not like a rifle that you might spend more time aiming at a longer away shot. The range is shorter with selfbow but very similar to shotgun hunting to me.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:28 pm »
Timbo, any chance in hanging cotton ball with a little curiosity scent (vanilla, or fox urine,ect.) When they stop to sniff , Shoot. I also like em walkin slow and just concentrate on spot. I have had bad experience with grunt stopping them. Bob

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 06:57:04 pm »
Guess I'll share one more trick.  Pee where you want a deer to stop so you can take a shot.  I've been doing this for several years.  My hunting buddies are doing it also.  It works.  Take the time just before you get into your stand.  And don't knock it until you've tried it.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 07:26:28 pm »
Ha!  I thought about doing that this morning, but couldn't decide if it was brilliant or crazy.  Now I know...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:35:56 pm by TimBo »

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
A couple more tricks that I'll add to the bag...…when stand hunting whitetail deer, always wear knee high RUBBER boots to and from your stand.  Deer will smell every blade of grass that you have touched and be on red alert if you don't.  For MANY years I have worn leather gloves when approaching my stands and climbing up.  Deer have never associated the smell of leather with human no matter how many years I have worn them.  The pair I am wearing presently are more than 7 years old.  Take it for what it's worth.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 08:38:30 pm »
I’ve been using a new deer call. “Deer talk , deer stopper.” Its advertised for white tail and mules. I like it for black tail. Good luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 04:10:23 pm »
as mentioned above,, the shot you are confindent in is the best one,, not need to take any shot you are not confident in,,at 10 yards ,, I wil shoot at a walking deer,, I never even considered a slow walking deer was not a high percentage shot,,for me it forces me to concentrate,,not alot of time to out think my self and wait for the best shot,, its now or never,, so I like the close walking shot,,that being said,, its your shot and you should do what seems best to you,,just wait till you get a shot you feel good about, ,it will come,, :NN