Author Topic: Chicken drama  (Read 7019 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Chicken drama
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
Well, I should have known. I built a pretty solid and spacious run outside my coop for the girls, but failed to make it completely hawk-proof.  O:)

At around 3:00 pm today Melissa heard a racket coming from out back (she was home w/ my sick son). She went out and a MASSIVE red-tail hawk had one of my girls pinned down and was getting ready for the kill.  :o

Luckily, Melissa ran at the HUMONGOUS bird of prey yelling loud enough to cause it to flee. She then secured the ladies in the coop. The girl was scared out of her tiny mind, but alive.  :OK

When I got home around 4:00 I went out there and the GARGANTUAN predator was back, perched low in a tree right next to the coop.

I walked toward the hawk, and told it in my best "quit the horsing around" teacher-voice to vacate the premises or else! That thing just sat there staring at me as if to say, "Where's my dinner?"

It finally flew away when I got close enough.  :D

What should I learn from all of this?

A) Melissa is scarier than me
B) I'm a terrible chicken owner for not properly "hawk-proofing" the run
C) Please feel free to tell me what you think I should learn  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline TimBo

Re: Chicken drama
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:55:05 pm »
D) Time to make some hawk arrows?  (Not sure about legalities there...)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
Yeah, I thought of that Tim, but I live in NY and they've got a law for everything here. I could check, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it ain't legal.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:38:39 pm »
While your protecting them from hawks. You might want to make sure the mink, Fox and coyotes can't get em either. Mink can be hard to keep out. I've helped several chicken owners catch mink that kept killing their chickens.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:03:31 pm »
Before birds of prey became protected by the government folks
around here used to trap and shoot them :-M
The chickens fed their families. They would put traps on fence posts
and even on top of the telephone poles.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:58 am »
Don, doesn't chicken and hawk taste the same. just one takes longer cooking time than the other? :o :-X

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:44 pm »
You guys are terrible, you'll have JW pulling his hair out ;D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »
Outback is right!   It ain't illegal if you eat the evidence. ;D
  Steve

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:18:46 pm »
Don, doesn't chicken and hawk taste the same. just one takes longer cooking time than the other? :o :-X
One ole farmer told me they taste like cat. -C-
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 03:23:15 pm »
The one mental "chicken drama" I will never get out of my head
is the image of Fran's doberman, chasing a fox chasing a chicken. ;D
Oh and his wife chasing the dog ;D ;D >:D
Zuma

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:52 pm »
That's hilarious Zuma. Would've loved to see that.  ;D

J.W., for the record, I love birds, and have never eaten one I didn't raise myself or buy at the store!  O:) (Although I would love to take a turkey one day w/ a selfbow  (SH) :G)

Please share your own chicken drama here. Somebody's gotta have something!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »
Last winter we had a terrible time with it.  Our flock has long since learned to use the ample available cover in the yard to stay safe from the red tailed hawks, but (no lie) last winter a Sharp Shinned Hawk started taking them out.  No, really, and full sized chickens, not banties.  Got our rooster, which was just as well since he was old anyway and we have houses going in where there used to be woods behind us and I wasn't sure how a rooster was going to work with that.  Also got 4 hens!  Little guy could go right into the thick stuff with them and once he got them by the neck, it was over.  I eventually negotiated a settlement with him.

Hawks are protected at both the state and federal level by very strict laws.  Technically, if one is in the process of killing one of your birds, you have a legal right to defend your property, but the judge may or may not agree.

The old country way is the 3 S Method:  Shoot, shovel and shut up!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 04:43:40 pm »
There is  reason why the redtail is often called the chickenhawk. Can't really blame 'em, I like chicken, too. Well, maybe not as rare as they prefer.

I am betting your chickens are a little "hawk smarter" now. But yeah, you really don't wanna get caught killing one. The fines are never gentle on the budget.

As for fletching...I have a set of eagle fletched arrows on the way.  ;D  Granted, the feathers started as white turkey feathers, but the maker is an artist at faking eagle feathers out of them.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 07:21:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience HP. I'm still somewhat of a newbie when it comes to owning chickens. We had no trouble with the hawks all summer, but the colder weather must be making them hungry and more bold.

I'm starting to wonder if this was a redtail JW. It was just too big. What else could it have been in NY though? Osprey maybe?  :-\

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 07:22:47 pm »
I used to have chickens, and everything likes their flavor. I'll just tell you about a couple of my experiences with them.

One day I was out mowing the grass with a push mower, and a mother hen and her little fuzzy yellow babies were within ten feet of me when a big red-tailed fell like a rock out of the sky and popped it's wings open about shoulder high, snagged a baby and was out of sight in the woods in less than 5 seconds. The scene went from peace and tranquility to distress and a dead baby within a second. I was shocked that the hawk had no apparent fear of me.

Something I saw with hawks, coyotes, and owls is that once they pick out their target, they do not see anything else. You can walk out in front of them and wave your arms, but you might as well not be there. I almost hit a hawk one day while driving down the highway. The hawk swooped across the road right in front of me at about 2-3 feet above the ground at high speed. It did a quick "hop" maneuver over the roadside vine-covered fence and came up with a bird from the other side of the fence.

Most of the time when a hen had babies, I would keep her and the babies under a cage/pen with 1" chicken wire on the top and sides. Each day I would drag it to a new clean spot of grass for them to eat. The cages/pens were pretty heavy. One day I heard the very loud screaming of a red tailed hawk, and when I looked out the back door, I saw a hawk hanging on the side of that cage screaming and snatching on the wire with it's claws. After a moment of total frustration, it flew into the woods nearby. I checked the hen and all seemed to be well. None of them died of fright.

WA

Edit: Once a predator of any kind gets a taste of chicken, it will count on getting dinner there every day till the last chicken is gone. When I got chickens, predators came from everywhere. Owls were the worst. I called a game warden to discuss how to solve the problem. He told me very bluntly that if I wanted to keep chickens, I would have to pen them up, because I could not do anything to "HIS" owls. Then he staked me out for a solid month watching every night for me to do something to his owls, but I had not just fallen off a turnip truck. Eventually it became just too much work and aggravation to keep them confined and predators and neighbors' dogs finished them off. One of the last things that happened was that a huge rattlesnake came in through the rusted tin at the bottom of my chicken house and killed a pile of half-grown chickens. It ate five (yes, I always had a count on them) of them and left the others lying there. You think I am lying, but I later found a rattlesnake big enough to do that within 50 feet of where that chicken house had been.

In Texas state and federal laws make it high risk to harm any predatory bird of any kind.

Edit: I know that a snake did that because of the slithering track it left in the sand.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:39:42 pm by Chippintuff »