Author Topic: Actual draw length vs conventional measuring  (Read 2379 times)

Offline StickMark

Actual draw length vs conventional measuring
« on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:54 am »
What is the difference between you actual draw length (hunting) and the usual conventional methods of measuring ? 
If draw length is "bone to bone" contact, wouldn't we vary based on individual builds?  I measure 28.5 at one shop, putting the measuring stick to sternum and reaching forward.  However, I notice over the years that 25"-25.75 is a "go to" place.  My girlfriend watches me shoot, and says I usually am right there, 25.5 or so. 

With a longer bow, I can standup and really squeeze the shoulder blades together, and hit 27, 27.5, 28 inches.

However, a 25.5 " draw seems to be where I am at.  I practice sitting and releasing arrows a lot.  I check the form in mirror, frontal view, and my string hand and arm are pulled back, not "chicken winging."  I am 5 foot, 10 inches tall, and have longer arms but a broad back.

thoughts appreciated.  I am ready to build some more bows, esp. since I realized that bows can bend right out of the fades, lol (BOM photos in PA magazine are a big help.)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Actual draw length vs conventional measuring
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:14 am »
IMO.
The only real accurate way to measure draw length is to watch someone shoot or see a video of them shooting. Most people overestimate their draw length.
All the rules of thumb/conventional ways of measuring are worthless as it depends heavily on shooting style.
Mind it doesn't matter too much as long as the arrow is longer than your draw length  >:D and all your arrows are the same.

My normal draw is about 27" these days, I can pull an 80# warbow style bow about 31". I can't do the NA short hunting draw... I just end up punching myself on the nose  ::) ;D
Del
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:27:32 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Actual draw length vs conventional measuring
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:14:29 pm »
I have made alot of bows ,, for different people with different draws,, so I learned if I put a piece of tape on the arrow at the intended draw I could shoot most draws pretty well with a little practice,,
that becomes real apparent with short bows,, they dictate the draw,, and can be shot well even at 20 inches of draw,, that being said,, I am most comfortable at about 25 inches of draw and make my bows to be effecient at that,,, but as stated if I am shooting a shorter bow, I will shoot it at the draw intended for that bow,,I think when someone measures you for your draw,, it is just a ball park,, of what you might draw,,up to you to define your shooting style and know what works best for you and your application,,then make a bow to fit,, (SH)