Author Topic: glue recipes???  (Read 9875 times)

Offline randman

Re: glue recipes???
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »
Don't let the glue dry on glass bowls, dishes or other items either.  Hide glue will adhere to the microscopic pores in the glass and pull ships and sheets of glass apart!!!

I use the same Rabbit Skin glue granules that I used to use for making glue chipped glass signs with gold leaf. Just etch your design in the glass with acid and spread rabbit skin glue on it and as the glue shrinks it chips big chips and flakes out of the surface of the glass (where the etch is). Beautiful stuff but keep it covered as it's drying or it's glass shrapnel around the whole room! Then you can apply gold leaf by using a water thin glue (size) made with knox or empty gelatin capsules then sealing the back with paint and varnish.
Rabbit skin glue is also mixed with whiting to make old style gesso to prime and shrink stretch a painter's canvas.
Look for it at an artists supply place.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:57 pm »
this post has a good build along approach to home made hide glue.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31239.0.html  Best of luck folks. 

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »
Anybody have a recipe for fish glue? Or hide glue? Will be starting a horn bow, sinew backed pretty soon and I was wondering which would be better. And how does commercial, Titebond hide glue compare? So a recipe once in The magazine for hide glue using doggie rawhide treats, how would that work out, and I forgot what all was involved. Anybody know? Thanks!!

Tattoo Dave
Tattoo Dave,
Mike Yancy has a great article in the 20.1 issue of PA on page 32.  You can still see it on the eMag and it is probably still on the newsstands for about 1 more week? 
It is really good with the instructions with some great pictures.  good luck!!
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.