Author Topic: juniper bow  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Sitapea

juniper bow
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:35:11 am »
Hi!
I am trying to make a 68 inch juniper bow (Juniperus communis). It is my first bow. I think that i have seriously violated some growth rings (i will add pictures). Growth rings are only violated at tips of the bow (about 7 inches from both ends). Rest of the bow is hopefully fine.
So, my question is: If i back the bow with linen (maybe 2 layers) will it hold up? I dont have access to sinew or rawhide. Also, will simple wood glue work for glueing linen to wood? I do not have any titebond or similar glues available here.
https://imgur.com/Oq72sHI
https://imgur.com/8RrlRp2

I hope you can help me.
Greetings!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: juniper bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:06:30 am »
I'm not that familiar with working juniper but I'd try to get to one growth ring along the entire back. If you add the linen backing only use 1 layer and yes, you can use simple wood glue like Elmer's or similar glue.

also, I'm gonna move this to bows so you will get more answers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:33:51 am »
2-3 layers of sinew is the perfect match for a juniper bow.  That is how it was done by the native americans who worked with it all the time--it would be better, in my opinion than linen. with a couple layers of sinew, a minor grain violation shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Sitapea

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:30 pm »
Thanks for replying. I really would like to use sinew if only i could. What would be closest thing to sinew? Right now linen is something i can get easily and it looks nice. Also, what about fiberglass? I know it isnt primitive, but would it be better than linen?

This is my first bow so it doesnt need to be perfect, but it has to shoot and last.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:56 pm »
Oh know. The FG word isn't allowed around here. They might string you up.lol. I haven't tried it but I know others have used linen, silk and rawhide. Sinew would improve bows performance. The others will help protect it from lifting splinters but add weight and really not improve performance. Of course a bow that's still shooting performs better than one that's broken, so it might help performance anyway.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:17:42 pm »
Since it's your first bow I'd say back it with linen and start building. Learn how to see proper tiller and how to achieve it. You have the best help in the world right here on PA and we are all willing to help you on your way on this journey.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sitapea

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:34:25 pm »
Thank you all for useful info!

I am going to get 1 growth ring along the back and then i will back it with linen.

Also, im working with different juniper, that grows in Estonia. It is probably not same wood.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:52:29 pm »
Sitapea. I was going to offer you some sinew but I saw where you lived and don't know if it's even legal to send you any. Good luck on your bow. Learn all you can it's all good, even the ones that don't turn out can teach you a lot. Sometimes more than the ones that do.
Bjrogg
PS any animals sinew will work and it's pretty easy to harvest it. Of course longer is better.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 03:28:59 pm »
If you do want sinew in the future, you might check with a local butcher to see if they could help you out. 

Offline Sitapea

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 03:56:53 pm »
I think that sinew is too hard to work with (for now). If i mess up this bow i will try hazel or something similar in future.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 05:52:10 pm »
 Your juniper is probably more like eastern red cedar, so the people that are familiar with that wood may be the best to comment, i have heard of cedar backed with a variety of hardwoods- but that could be beyond your skill level. Sisal (so) or flax toe are other options.

Offline Sitapea

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 03:52:24 am »
I found that if i would make it one ring along the back then i will remove a lot of material from the whole bow just to fix violated tips. Also it would be thinner than i would like and rest of the bow is fine. If i would cut tips off it would be only 54-55 inches and that is short.

Are there any options?
Maybe i could glue some other wood on the back of the tips like small siyahs?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 07:30:58 am »
use what you have and learn with it...if your juniper is anything like ours, a ring violation under the linen, should work just fine.  I have used raw flax instead of sinew.  Have fun.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:52:40 am »
learn as much as you can from this bow. On the next one make sure you have a good, unblemished ring on the back before you do anything else. once you've done that draw out and cut out the shape then work towards floor tiller. Post oics along as you work so we can help you navigate a successful bow.

Offline Sitapea

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 10:41:26 am »
Ok i will start building. I think that i have made my decision about the backing. I found some raw flax laying around so i will back the bow with that like with sinew.
When i finish this project i will post the outcome with pictures.
Thank you again.