Author Topic: STEAM Straightening Shafts?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
STEAM Straightening Shafts?
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »
Anyone have experience using steam setup to straighten shoot or bamboo/cane shafts?

Skip ahead to 5:00 of this video to see fella using steam to straighten walking sticks.
tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFdDWP_h1c

(add "ht" to beginning of above link)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

Re: STEAM Straightening Shafts?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:06:18 pm »
I've never done it but my gut says an arrow shaft, being small, would loose heat so fast that you would get one end done and the rest would be too cold to bend. That said, for the initial roughing out I use my barbecue. I put the whole shaft in at 400° and wait about 30 seconds and then roughly straighten the whole shaft so it may not be that much different. I do still have to go back with a heat gun to get the little wiggles. I can see one advantage in that you could put a bunch of shafts in the steamer and they would all be ready to just quickly rough them all out. All my experiences are with bamboo shafts so that may make a difference.
If you've got all the stuff, steamer and tube etc, it would be worth trying.
Give it a shot and report back :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 02:08:07 pm »
I haven't found it necessary. I use our kitchen gas stove and hand straighten. For bad bends I use an arrow wrench.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:41:09 pm »
I do it all the time Mike.  Bamboo, shoot shafts, split shafts.
Works great.  I use a garment steamer and used to just kinda spot bend them, but I figured out recently that I could just stick the entire shaft into the steam hose for just a couple minutes, pull them out, and work most of the bends, if not all of it out in one shot.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 04:38:18 pm »
I too wondered if relative small shaft dia would result on losing heat too quickly.

Very interesting, Aaron. Ya just use the hose that comes off the steamer? Yet another reason to setup steam rig!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 06:45:21 pm »
I too wondered if relative small shaft dia would result on losing heat too quickly.

Very interesting, Aaron. Ya just use the hose that comes off the steamer? Yet another reason to setup steam rig!
That's right

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:27:01 am »
dont steam..use dry heat only..

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:35:30 pm »
Gut . . . why, please?

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:24:10 am »
cane responds to dry heat exceptionally... no need to rehydrate cane... when green it just takes a lil heat to really hold the bend... even when dry turns yellow.. take slight more heat then but not much.. I like to set on end of table and bend ..hold for a few till starts to cool...it will hold...Gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:42:19 am »
Even shoot shafts work well with dry heat. For more severe bends I might add a little oil to help hold the heat.
When you collect shoots and cane you can hand straighten on a daily or even a weekly basis until they are dry then only slight heat straightening will get the shoots ready to become arrows. Why add moisture to a shaft you have waited for it to dry?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:35 am »
dont overheat cane..only takes small amount... just hot to touch...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 10:16:43 am »
Thanks for replies, fellas.