Author Topic: Hickory board bow.  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Dakotian05

Hickory board bow.
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:52:45 am »
Well, it's certainly been awhile. I got back from teaching abroad in Ecuador for a year and found myself between jobs and places to live. While "living in my parent's basement" as they say, I found my old shop more or less how I left almost 10 years ago and this message board....pretty much unchanged in that time as well. I decided to pick up an old hobby. I'm an adult now so I benefit from the patients of one and wanted to make up for all the times I cut corners as a teenager. The end results took a lot longer, but are much more satisfying. Here's the result. This is 66 inches tip to tip and about 55#. This is my first time really working with hickory, it's truly is an amazing wood. The riser is carved from an apple branch and the tips are IPE that I still had laying around. It's a fairly basic project, but it's a pleasure to shoot.
Enjoy the pictures, I'll be curious to see how many user names I still recognize.

~Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory board bow.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:36:12 am »
Welcome back, Andrew. The tiller looks pretty good to me. Well done.   :OK
 How's your sister, all grown up I guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:43 am »
Andrew,
You will find a big bunch of newbies, as well!  The "bow bug" has been busy biting lots of folks of all ages.  Looks like you haven't lost the techniques.  Welcome back!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:20:30 pm »
Welcome back. Bow looks great!
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »
Welcome back. Good looking bow, how about an unbraced picture.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:28:41 pm »
A little stiff from the fade to mid limb on the top limb, the bottom limb looks great.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 01:55:09 pm »
Welcome back Dakotian05.Nice bow from such a long lay off.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:28:17 pm »
Nice bow!
I think bow making will never be boring, great you found back.

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:24:15 am »
Im worried the handle is gonna pop off the way it is glued... just a matter of time.... gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:38 am »
As it is now I think the handle riser is safe. With the stiffer inner limb the handle area shouldn't bend and the handle riser should be safe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakotian05

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 09:09:11 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Right, I was also a bit worried about the handle which is why I was a bit careful about taking wood out of the middle. Is there a better way to glue it on? It's also a bit shorter than I originally envisioned but I made it as tall as I was, and I'm still short. Hey Pat, good to hear from you. I still have that mulberry bow you sent me awhile back.  It still works. Sisters are doing great, ones a nurse, the other's a paramedic. Also, here's the unbraced picture.
I guess I'm starting to remember how much I missed this hobby.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »
well what you need to do is have some of the board in the fade... in other words there should be board rising to the fade at handle ... somebody will post a pic Im sure... the way yours is the board is flat with no rise and handle just glued to the board... fade should start at the board not at handle..only take 1/8 inch or so to take the stress off glue joint..but as pointed out since the bend doesnt occur near handle might be ok...

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »
I got a pic that may help...Welcome back, and nice bow btw. 

Offline Dakotian05

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:31:06 pm »
I see, thank you for the analysis, I do appreciate it. looks like I have some homework before I start a new project. I have a few questions (which may warrant a new thread). The board was already bending when I bought it. So I was worried that if I took off too much wood from the center, the end result would have been too light since I would have to remove a significant amount more throughout the limb. So to maintain a 55# to 60# range it turned out a bit whip-ended. So my two questions,
1. Was that a valid concern? Is there something I didn't understand?
2. If so, was that a good trade off in terms of performance? Would a 60# whip-ended bow perform better than say, a...40# evenly bending bow? Of course, there's plenty of variables, but as a general principal?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the issue.