Author Topic: California Burning AGAIN!  (Read 3152 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

California Burning AGAIN!
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:55 am »
Well, Here we go again. Look up CalFire - Camp Fire for more details. This fire grew to 70,000ac in 24 hours. It has burned over the town of Paradise, CA and is impacting Chico, CA. I have many Family and Friends directly impacted by this fire. Some had to drive through it to get out. If you are on the monster FB you can check my shares for videos, photos and reports. There are many people unaccounted for. So far, not much has been confirmed. this is steep dry terrain and we had a dry, cold front pass through with high winds. My great-grandparents original home where they built their family is most likely gone. I lived there for a short time as a kid. Lived in Chico for many years. Then there are more fires in Southern California. California's fire season is now all year. All prayers appreciated!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: California Burning AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:23:18 am »
Ben, the son of a friend lives in Ventura. Haven't heard from him. Will contact his parents(friends here).
Poor California. Seems like it has had more of their share of disasters.
Thanks for the update.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:42 am »
That is a real fast moving fire!b. Does seem like one gets t least controlled and another pops up to take it's place.  Hope all are safe!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 10:56:26 am »
Heard the humidity was 2%. Can't imagine humidity that low. Praying for you all.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:52:15 am »
Terrible thing to have to contend with there.Thoughts and prayers to you all.Just from grass fires getting out of hand sometimes around here with that wind it's amazing how fast a fire can move.No time to react properly before it's done it's damage.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:25:31 pm »
Seen it on BBC news this morning.. Not again Ms Kerrie said.. Be safe all.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:53:10 am »
Dont they do controlled burns out there at all?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:08 pm »
The west has been is severe drought for quite a few years now. A controlled burn would be out of control in no time. It's all fire country anyway. The land can recover because that's how it's evolved. It's the human encroachment that makes it a disaster.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 06:31:18 am »
Pat nailed it; I did see a video of a house a forester built in a fire area, he didn't use flammable materials on the outside, kept a buffer zone of rock and sand for landscaping and a minimum of foliage.

After a huge wildfire swept through his subdivision his house was the only one left standing, it was unharmed, common sense goes a long way.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:42:00 pm »
Tragedy, tragedy, tragedy
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:13 pm »
Actually,in the region,of the camp fire,in N Ca,they had record snowfall 2 years ago,so they are not as drought ridden as S Ca..For the past 25 years or more,in the west,there has been laws enacted to over protect by enviro groups that have eliminated multiple land use,such as timber harvest and grazing to the point,that the forests and grasslands are dying and littered with debris and foliage that burns like crazy,,when ignited...Add in  increase in population and chances of ignition increases..The talk is,the camp fire was started by a PG&E line,just as it was in Napa/Santa rosa,last year...In the old Days,Native people did controlled burns,to eliminate  excessive dead foliage and promote new growth to provide for wildlife and consequently humans as well.There are Forest lands,in N Ca that are so overgrown,a human  or larger game,can not navigate through it..Its a recipe for disaster and we are seeing  the repercussions of such treatment,with more to come,if things dont change..

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 04:36:49 am »
My wife and I went on our honeymoon and camped in the Northern California area. Where I'm from we just look for dead branches for a small cooking fire. Usually gotta walk a ways cause that's what all the people that are to frugal to pay for firewood do. We pitched our tent and I couldn't believe all the dead branches and limbs everywhere. It was easy picking. I had a nice fire going in no time. Then I noticed sign that said something to the effect not to use the ground litter for firewood. Had to leave it all natural to decompose. I thought at the time this is a matchbox ready to go up in flame. I doubt it's changed since. That was almost 22 years ago. My cousin lives a bit further south in the Rosewood area. He says the fires are usually worse when they have good winter and spring moisture. Get lots of grass and undergrowth. It always dries up in summer. Then it's more fuel for the fire. Add in 2% humidity and Santa Anna winds blowing and it's not a surprise. It's natures way of getting rid of the ground litter. I love the area. It's absolutely beautiful. Almost as pretty as back home.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 10:27:13 am »
Seems like most of the USFS campgrounds here cut downed trees into manageable pieces for firewood, when practical, at least in close.  Some folks think that if some regulation is good, more is even better.  Things biodegrade only when there is enough moisture and time, otherwise fire potential is expotential(sp)!  Our thoughts and sympathies go out to those who are affected in any way!  The tragic loss of lives and property will probably trigger a strong reaction, not necessarily a good one!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 09:21:21 am »
This is now a complicated issue.

When ever you take a predator out of a picture you create the opportunity for catastrophe. Fire is the predator here. As LMAs evolved fire was removed from the scene. In many places the forest is so dense that it is very impractical and cost prohibitive to just "let it Burn" or to remove material by mechanical thinning. California is so over regulated that we simply cannot accomplish much good in the time we need it. The Tribes are working with LMAs to reintroduce fire but it is a little tiny bit at a time. The biggest hindrance, (outside of drought) is Air Quality Control Boards. Rather than deal with a small amount of smoke with less particulate matter from a RX fire, they would rather have cleaner air for the short term. This creates the scene for catastrophic fire with extremely dangerous air quality.

Predators have their place but need management much like our own emotions. Fire is natures vacuum cleaner. Used often and regularly, it keeps the forest clean and healthy.

In cities where wood burning is an option for heat, residents need a permit and an EPA approved stove, and if the air quality is bad then you don't get to heat your home.... except by propane, electricity, or self contained oil heater.

Tillering, forging, hunting, burning your landscape, does not matter what you do, it ALL Takes time and practice just like anything else to learn how to do it right.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:42 pm »
So Ben, I guess what you are saying is the folks that think they know it all DON'T,
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.