Author Topic: Balance points on shafts  (Read 10185 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Balance points on shafts
« on: November 09, 2018, 12:03:48 pm »
Just wondering what's the most beneficial balance point on these finished broadhead flight arrow shafts.For penetration it's quite a bit forward but that's a different agenda.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

Re: Balance points on shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 06:12:31 pm »
I wish I could help Ed but what little experimenting I have done with this I got nothing conclusive out of it. I seem to do best with broadheads in the 100 grain range if that helps but that might change with different fletching. Ijust don't know.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
Was thinking something of the same thing about weight up front.Opposed to 140 up front.
Has anybody ever stiffened up low light fletching with lacguer?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
  I have used shellac and I think it does help

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 07:44:55 pm »
Just a thought, but could it depend on bow style shooting it? In my mind a more overbuilt bow with more mass in the tips would do better with more forward balance while a lighter tip bow behind center. Feel free to tell me if you think this is wrong.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:48 pm »
Points to ponder about over built and light tipped bows for sure.I can see the train of thought and it seems I've read that somewhere to be reminded of it,that could very well be right as it makes sense.With arrows  being the same weight overall it still is confusing.The only way to find out is to try...shooting during same conditions at the same time of day with different arrows.
I would think fletching that fluttered any while flying would create more drag.
It's funny after all of this shooting a winning formula is'nt arrived at.Must be that conditions are so variable as well as a good release made is too.Although even though if I get consistent identical speed numbers through the chrono and shooting same arrow it flys like a dart at 20 yards that really does'nt measure how the arrow flys for distance.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »
Maybe that difference is why there should be a "hunting" class for broad heads. In other words we shoot our hunting arrows for distance (and hopefully don't lose any on the salt flats! (SH) >:D)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 09:40:01 pm »
Hawk, I have pushed for more of a hunters class for broadheads in our flight shooting but it has gone the opposite way. I would like to see all weight classes use 10 grains per pound and full size fletches. I look at the broadhead event as more of a bow test for hunting bows instead of a true flight shooting event.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:13:35 pm »
All true Ed. I still have a cow pasture 5 min from my house. Construction going up all around it. Won't be there much longer, but I have a place to shoot. I use the chrono in my backyard.  If I get good numbers i head over to the flight pasture. Get there about once a month. A fast arrow through a chrono 4 feet from the bow still needs the stability to carry it the distance.
Steve, I always thought 10gpp was the standard also.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 11:40:33 pm »
In saying the arrow flying like a dart I mean bare shaft too yet so hardly any fletching correction is needed.Although I've never bare shaft shot an arrow for distance.Could be something funny happens up there along the flight without fletching.With javelines it does'nt seem too at the olympics.....lol.5/16" thicker walled bamboo will be my choice.
I've got a place to shoot within walking distance of my house Chuck.Thank God.How are things going testing?I remember your comments on the bows you shot at the salt flats.
My shooting has to be done with the row crop out of the field as a stubble field though.Otherwise the neighbors pasture would have to do a mile down the road.I finally bought a true 100 yard tape Steve....lol.It's good of you to petition for that type of shoot.I seem to remember you saying that too earlier.
I will still probably just use a range finder to get an approximate distance.I think I can safely get within a yard or two of the correct distance if I use a shed or the truck as a referral to shoot back to with range finder.Or if need be mark a shooting alleyway to marked by two tall posts 10 yards apart @ 200 yards and measure with tape and mark with stakes the distance of shots if need be and go from ther to be more exact.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:53 pm »
The best shot for me so far was under a hundred grains of broadhead . Balancing point 1-1/2" forward of center. Bamboo shaft.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 06:47:46 am »
Going under 125 or 145 grain up front will make the spine adjustment on the shaft go in reverse.This is for a 28" draw.Example...Say a 50# bow shoots a 50# spine arrow like a dart and the shaft reads 50 spine on a 26" span.On a 50# bow with a 100 grain trade point the shaft should be 45 spine then or there abouts.
Using the standard formula that 25 grains over or under standard of 125 grain raises or lowers spine 5#'s.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 09:54:17 am »
   That is true Ed, I normally use 125 grain points and my arrow passes are usually about 1/8" before center. About .520 deflection seems to work pretty good. With my flight broadheads that go between 80 grains and 100 grains most of the time I use about a .560 deflection.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:43 pm »
when you guys get it figured out, please let me know.  :)  You are all welcome to come here and shoot any time.  My thinking is that a good bamboo shaft might be the ticket so I plan to make a few with the normal 'big end' at the point...and one or 2 with the nock on the 'big end' to throw the weight more to the middle of the shaft.  I want to try to nearly balance one to see how it does.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 12:04:05 am »
Bob,  Sounds like a good test!  Maybe 3 arrows each, each set matched for weight and spine?  Or I didn't read the specs right!  I haven't  made enough bows or arrows to be relevant in the discussion.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry