Author Topic: Set goes away overnight?  (Read 2588 times)

cool_98_555

Set goes away overnight?
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:45:48 am »
So I have this awesome bow that has about 1" of reflex.  After I shoot the bow for an hour or so, it goes to about 1.5" of string follow.  When I check it the next day, the reflex is back at 1".  Is this normal?  What's going on here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Set goes away overnight?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:48:01 am »
wood is probably too wet still.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:50:06 am »
    It is very common but it doesn't matter if it comes back in 1 minute it is still set. I have a bow right now that I am very frustrated with. Still a very good shooter but the bow took almost no set, about 1.2" but when I draw it to full draw the first time it will read 58# second draw and all draws after that it will read 53#. Let it sit for a few hours it does the same thing.

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:04:06 am »
It has been seasoned for 2.5yrs and it had one heat-treating session.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:23:55 am »
  How much reflex did it have before tillering?

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:27:39 am »
It had around 1.5" of reflex before tillering

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
    It is very common but it doesn't matter if it comes back in 1 minute it is still set. I have a bow right now that I am very frustrated with. Still a very good shooter but the bow took almost no set, about 1.2" but when I draw it to full draw the first time it will read 58# second draw and all draws after that it will read 53#. Let it sit for a few hours it does the same thing.

Have you heat treated it yet steve?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »
Maybe I should heat-treat again...just to get some more moisture out of it?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 01:51:44 pm »

Have you heat treated it yet steve?

Yep, I thought it might still have some moisture so let it sit for a couple of months.  The poundage went up a little but still has the weight loss. The bow is overbuilt and plenty wide and tiller looks good. Holds about 1 3/4" reflex and settles in at about 2". It is a very good shooter but I think it would be better without the weight loss. No reversing it now.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:05 pm »
 Some wood bows do just behave like a sinewed bow.  The combination of the back pulling the belly  back and the belly cells slowly expanding slightly over time.

And that happens even if the wood is dry enough.    I find some Elm is frequently like this.  Kind of a hard but rubbery texture to it.

Composite bows actually do this to a large degree.   I wouldn't worry about it.     Materials that were once living behave like living things.   They get tired and they recover.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:22:10 am »
Lots of bows behave that way, some of mine do, it is just wood doing what wood does. My wood is seasoned 10 or more years, kept in a moisture controlled environment. All of my bows are osage, on long shooting sessions I can tell a few lose a little punch with the first shots being much faster than the last. I have other bows that never slow down or gain and lose set overnight, wood is wood.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:34:21 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 11:39:45 am »
Eric I tend to agree with ya. The great ones come 1or2 in a hundred. The rest are just really good bows. Except for the occasional failure . Yes 230 latter there is still a failure on occasion . :BB
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 08:09:18 pm »
Hi Badger, out of curiosity is the bow you speak of sinew backed?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:57 am »
That's 3 total inches of  set. That's a lot. Sounds too wet to me also. 2.5 years of unaided drying/seasoning may not be enough.
But then again heat treating a wet stave would cause drying cracks.
Is the design (too short, too narrow for draw length) the culprit?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!