Author Topic: Beginner knapping questions  (Read 7279 times)

Offline _Hiller_

Beginner knapping questions
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:45 pm »
Hey guys.

I want to get into flint knapping in order to make my own arrow points for hunting. I know, relatively, what tools I’ll need, but unfortunately I have a disability that prevents me from getting around as freely to gather my own rock. So, I’m thinking of ordering rock from Neolithics.com. Probably banded obsidian, as I’ve heard obsidian is easiest, and it looks more interesting than plain black. Does anyone have any experience ordering from them?
   My other question is, assuming I order all my rock from there, about how much do I need to order to have enough material to become relatively proficient? I mean it’s only like $3 a pound so it’s not bad. I’m just wondering how far a pound is going to get me in terms of proficiency. Are we talking like 20-30 pounds at a time? I suppose that wouldn’t be bad but I don’t know about shipping cost. Anyone have any advice?

_Hiller_

Offline jeffp51

Re: Beginner knapping questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:48:13 pm »
if you are trying to learn still, practice on the bottoms of bottles.  They are cheap (free if you find the right dumpster) and have the same consistency as obsidian.  They also present many of the same problems you will have with natural rock -- concavity, convexity, square edges.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 05:14:09 am »
Guess you need to figure out if you are going to pressure flake slabs or do percussion knapping on bulk rock.  Neolithics and Kentucky Flintworks are both really good places for supplies.  You tube is your friend if you don't have videos to follow and learn from but nothing beats sitting down with knappers for one on one instruction so look for knap-ins  in your area.  Rock is sold by the pound but is usually  shipped in flat rate boxes.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:53 am »
Welcome to PA. Your question is really hard to answer. It could take a box. It might take more than a wheelbarrow. Like jeb said YouTube can be your friend. Lots of good videos on there some better than others. I also agree with Jeff. Glass works like Obsidian and is much easier and cheaper to acquire. There is a lot to learn and it's hard to show someone how. Even when you know what to do you will still miss your spot or snap a point. We all still break points. They just are nicer points when we break them. I knap, make arrows, make bows and hunt. I personally think knapping is the trickiest of them all. I have to get in the right zone for knapping. I can't believe how fast time goes by when I get there. I just get completely into my stone and notice very little else. Some people find it fascinating. Some people find it frustrating. Some people find it both. It's not as frustrating when your breaking free glass. Gets a bit more frustrating when your making expensive gravel. Good Luck. Like most things that are truly rewarding, it takes time and patience. Probably more than a wheelbarrow full.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:32:05 am »
Another source of glass could be a local glass shop/store, they usually have a lot of shards left over, and the price may be very favorable.  They may be able to show you a few trick on getting the best shape, too.  You might be able to work a trade in the Trading Post section, as well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:04:01 pm »
I started out on glass and obsidian doing pressure flaking. My thought was that I could begin producing reasonable looking work in minimum time doing pressure flaking while occasionally picking up a bigger piece of rock and trying percussion. In pretty short order I was doing OK (not great, but OK) with pressure flaking on glass and obsidian. It took longer to have much success with percussion, but I could produce something that I liked with pressure flaking every day. That kept me from getting frustrated.

I was doing fair percussion within a few months using only maybe a 100 lbs of stone. At that point I was using pressure flaking on every flake that was workable, so nothing went to waste.

The approach I had was to learn one technique, then new techniques one at a time. It worked pretty well for me.

WA

Offline _Hiller_

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
I started out on glass and obsidian doing pressure flaking. My thought was that I could begin producing reasonable looking work in minimum time doing pressure flaking while occasionally picking up a bigger piece of rock and trying percussion. In pretty short order I was doing OK (not great, but OK) with pressure flaking on glass and obsidian. It took longer to have much success with percussion, but I could produce something that I liked with pressure flaking every day. That kept me from getting frustrated.

I was doing fair percussion within a few months using only maybe a 100 lbs of stone. At that point I was using pressure flaking on every flake that was workable, so nothing went to waste.

The approach I had was to learn one technique, then new techniques one at a time. It worked pretty well for me.

WA
I think this is the route I’m gonna take. Thanks JEB for pointing me towards Kentucky Flintworks. Looks like they’v got a better selection of slabs than Neolithics, so I think I’ll go ahead and pick up an Ishi Stick and a bunch of slabs and just do pressure flaking till I become confident in my ability to get something decent out of it. Then after that I can switch to raw rock and work on percussion.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:40:45 pm »
Maybe this thread is a good place to review the safest way to get bottle bottoms!  I haven't had much luck, but haven't tried real hard either.  Got a bunch of bottles bottom on!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:09 am »
Hawk: you tube that question on bottle bottoms.  It is real easy. Take a 16 penny nail and drop it in the bottle and shake it up and down real hard about 4 times and the bottom will drop out of the bottle. But, you tube will show you how.  It is a female knapper that demonstrates this process.

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 05:31:52 am »
I've used a tile saw before to cut off bottle bottoms and bottoms off cobalt blue coffee mugs I find in thrift stores or yard sales.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 07:16:32 am »
As Jeb suggested, the nail(s) in a bottle can do the trick, and it is fast, but be careful. Shake it down into a big bucket or tub, because there are always some loose pieces flying around when the bottom comes off.

WA

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
fill the bottle to the neck with water.  hold it by the neck and strike the top with a rubber mallett.  If you want to prevent shards, hold the bottle submerged in another bucket of water.  I get better results that way than with the nail technique.

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:56 am »
That sounds interesting Jeffp51. going to have to run out and find a bottle just to try that one.

Offline _Hiller_

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 07:40:04 pm »
fill the bottle to the neck with water.  hold it by the neck and strike the top with a rubber mallett.  If you want to prevent shards, hold the bottle submerged in another bucket of water.  I get better results that way than with the nail technique.
I actually saw someone do this with just their hand once at a party. Can confirm, it definitely works.

Offline clewis

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 08:29:45 pm »
Good material is hard to come by in Canada and expensive to ship from the states but if you do order material online I’d get a box of ready to ship flakes. Bottle bottoms or any other glass source is good place to start. I’ve accidentally broken a few glass counter tops in my day  ;D