Author Topic: Set  (Read 1246 times)

Offline DC

Set
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:38:41 pm »
 I'm tillering a boo backed yew. I decided to work the fades a bit to get more limb working. I left it braced for about an hour while I was making supper. when I unbraced it, it had taken about 1/2" of set which went away after about an hour or less. I know, not enough to worry about. The set is in the fades. I still have six inches to go. If I avoid the fades will that set "go away" as I tiller around it? Kinda like a hinge will go away when you get the rest of the bow sorted out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Set
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:43:20 pm »
If you haven't damaged the cells too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:47:27 pm »
  Did you draw the bow and it took set or just left it braced and it took set. If the set was from only being braced I would be concerned. But if it is only 1/2 inch I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps growing.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »
Pat--I'm hoping not because it recovers reasonably quickly. This bow seems to have come together so well as far a glue lines, recurves and string alignment I would hate for a little bit of set to creep in and spoil my day. I left the recurves long just because(they'll get trimmed when I see where lift off is) and just before it took the set I had 4" of reflex. It was drawing straight and true, not even a hint of twist in my hand. At least out to 20".
Badger-- I've had it out to 20" and exercised the heck out of it then I left it while I made supper.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:10:55 pm »
You should be good even if it takes 1 1/2" set.