Author Topic: Fancy Yew 55" // 35# @ 25"  (Read 10738 times)

Offline simk

Fancy Yew 55" // 35# @ 25"
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:16:29 am »
Hi Folks

There was a little yew stave waiting to become a bow. It was short and narrow...not too many options with that one - either a childs bow or some kind of experiment...

Tapers from 1" at the handle to 8/10" at the tips.

Tried to do a pentagon cross section first time which i found quite difficult to work to an even thickness taper. How do you generally judge a pentagon cross section? Does it make sense? Advantages/disadvantages?

Takes a bit of set that dissapears again over night. Shoots quick and dirty. Don't dare to pull it past a 26" draw (Probably not taking full advantage of that tip solution).

The fd-pic might cheats due to handle/hook-position. Will take a real fd pic in hands when my wife is available - hope i will not have to retiller. Until to thiis pic the bow was balanced in my eyes, also the arrows lifted well from my hand.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:28:52 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

Re: Fancy Yew 55" // 35# @ 25"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:22 am »
more
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:44 am »
more
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:37 am »
more
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:43 am »
Neat bow. Those tips! What are they made of? How did you attach them? I love the experimentation, but I've got to think those add a lot of weight. What's your thought process behind them?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:32 am »
Halfbow took the words right off my keypad. It's a beautiful bow. Bend looks fantastic. Tips are certainly out of the box. Beautiful but seems a bit heavy out there. Very nice workmanship.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 05:37:26 am »
Tiller looks good! I think the sharp belly ridge possibly adds to the set. The nock system is quite clever and makes use of maximum length of the bow but it will probably slow the arrow speed down and add some hand shock because of the mass. I think if you reduce it by 70% it wil actually work great!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 06:10:24 am »
Agreed. Beautiful bow and interesting experiment. I was thinking the set is coming from the high crowned belly too. The tips although very well done look as if they may add too much weight out there. Very well done though I must say.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 07:00:22 am »
Hi Folks

Thanx for your comments! Still curious about further opinions about the pentagon cross section which I occasionally have seen on bows in the www

I thought you might be curious about those tips  8)

As the stave was very short I had concerns about stacking and string angle. I was thinking about mounting some kind of shiyas but was afraid of getting a well fitted splice. So this design avoids stacking I think and surplus provides 2" of reflex.

It's made of epoxy, enriched with a bit of charcoal. I don't think it's really havier than stiff wooden shiyas....?

I'm not really a expierenced shooter but didn't notice hand-shock (i was afraid of). Sure it would have been possible to reduce them further, but not 70%. Prefferred to stay on the safe side. Will try it again, probably less extreme.

This epoxy method provides uncountable easy tip solutions in any colour you like and always perfect glue lines  ::) If it wasn't epoxy I like it a lot.

Cheers

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:04:41 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 07:35:09 am »
Cool experiment.  I really thought it was horn of some type. 
I'll wait to see the bow in hand before I comment on balance.  Like you said, I'm not sure about your cradle and pull hook positions.  Making the bow perfectly balanced could help some with the hand shock.  The rest will be in reducing tip weight.  It doesn't look like your handle area is bending too much, but I'm just a beginner on these bendy handle bows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 07:50:32 am »
Outlandish looking or just different type tips on your bow.Congratulations!!!Very nice work.As short as it is hand shock should'nt be a problem.I could hang that bow from a twig in a stand anywhere I pleased.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:37 am »
Interesting... funky, weird. Looks like you need to pull just a tad more to get lift off as the string unwinds off the cams.
Looks like the Yew would take some more bend... specially if it's not me that's pulling it*  ::) ;D
Great for teasing compound shooters.
Del
BTW.
The other day I mended a Yew ELB for a guy. he'd somehow sheared the tip off, it needed a little re-tillering too (he'd made it on a course and it had a weak area and a couple of thick spots that needed blended in).
I made sure he pulled the rope when it was on the tiller  >:D.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:03:37 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:03 am »
Outlandish looking or just different type tips on your bow.Congratulations!!!Very nice work.As short as it is hand shock should'nt be a problem.I could hang that bow from a twig in a stand anywhere I pleased.
Didn't think of this!  You could hang this bow anywhere.  That's a great feature!

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 08:14:07 am »
The tips take some getting used to but i like experiments and trying different stuff.

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 08:58:54 am »
Yeah del, the string doesn't lift of with my tiny 26" draw - so the next one maybe will be  shorter  8)

in the meantime my little son helped me out with the fd pic...its not perfect but combined with the above pic you could get an idea of the tiller.

Cheers
--- the queen rules ----