Author Topic: Maple Padauk Jatoba Trilam  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Halfbow

Maple Padauk Jatoba Trilam
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:06:30 am »
This bow was a bit of an adventure to make. Originally it was just going to be a maple backed padauk, but the padauk developed a big crack during tillering. So I thinned it down and added a belly lam of jatoba. The grain on the maple is pretty bad, so I was also going to play around with a silk cable backing and see if that would help it survive. But it ended up not needing the cable after all.

It has about .5" of string follow, down from 1" of reflex after gluing the jatoba.

Most of the limb is pyramid style, with narrower tips for the last 6".

66" ntn. 58lbs@28"

The handle looks harsh, but it's actually one of the most comfortable handles I've used.

You can see the bad grain.

Katalox tip overlays.

The jatoba belly doesn't go all the way to the ends.

The belly lams faded in to the handle, but after awhile I noticed the glue lines were starting to fail there, and the belly lams were trying to ride up the fades. I cut the ends off of them and inserted a block of katalox to give them something to run in to. That seems to have worked like a charm.

Thanks for taking a look!

Offline simk

Re: Maple Padauk Jatoba Trilam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:50 am »
your craftsmanship makes me turn pale and humble  :OK  :OK  :OK

great bow

is the.maple bscking just sawn from a board?

cheers
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:17:53 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:01 am »
Very nice bend. Nice bow good work
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:41:42 am »
Nice bend and looks pretty with all the contrasting colours! I would advise you to round the edges of the maple back a little more, especially because of the grain runoff. That reduces the chance of lifting a splinter there

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:18:25 am »
Nice! that sure is a pretty bow.  Your fit an finish skills are top notch.
I've tried maple like that on a couple bows and they both ended up failing, but hopefully you have better luck.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 07:37:11 am »
Nice bend and very clean finish work. Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:44:46 am »
Very well made clean lines to your glue up with the contrasting colors also on a laminated bow.Nice tiller on the bend too.Hope the backing holds up for ya.You got enough length.Sharp edges for me just get dinged up though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 07:58:56 am »
Nice glue lines on that,like the colors.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:54 am »
Beautiful job, you do awesome work. And aside from all the prettiness it has a very nice bend. Well done.

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 03:11:01 pm »
Thank you for the kind words everyone!

is the.maple bscking just sawn from a board?

Yep, it's a board bow. Flatsawn maple.

Nice bend and looks pretty with all the contrasting colours! I would advise you to round the edges of the maple back a little more, especially because of the grain runoff. That reduces the chance of lifting a splinter there

Yeah that padauk is a beautiful wood. Especially in person, it has a beautiful holographic luster. But it's not a color combo I'm keen to recreate. The oily bright red sawdust from the padauk would get everywhere and quickly dye the maple pink. During finishing it was a real struggle to keep the maple clean and white. And as soon as I'd get one part white, everywhere else my hands had touched would be pink. Had to just wash my hands a lot and try to sand the maple separately without touching the padauk. During the process I kept telling myself, never again. XD

Thanks, I will certainly take your advice and round the corners more next time.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 06:13:29 pm »
Interesting bow and a fine tiller.  I like the contrast of all the woods.  Sweet!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 06:14:21 pm »
I really like the Pyramidish / Holmie hybrid. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks. If so you got a hit on that one.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:21:30 pm »
Lotsa well executed craftsmanship in that one. Congrats!

I just completed maple self bow with that front profile and agree with your positive comment. Definitely gonna do more with that profile.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:09 pm »
   You did a really nice job on that bow. I have found jatoba to be one of the fastest woods ( low hysteresis) that I have ever worked with but I have had so many problems with it developing chrysals that I quite working with it. Hard to beat when everything works out.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 11:24:27 pm »
Congrats to that great looking bow. The handle looks really great, if it's fine some sharp edges really show the design. But at the back, I'm with leonwood, they are to sharp for my taste. Have you ever tried one without arrow shelf? Lately I make them all without, it's no need for me at all!