Author Topic: Visitors  (Read 2175 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Visitors
« on: November 13, 2018, 08:14:20 am »
Our local cats don't know what to think of these Toms.

Turns out I was in the shed working on Robins' loom with the door wide open when she took pics of these.I was actually a mere 15 yards away.I never noticed them....Ha Ha.I'll have to string a bow up when ever I go out to the shed to work on things....Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:24:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

Re: Visitors
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:19:53 am »
Interesting the birds didn't move on when the cat moved in. I live in a neighborhood and we are infested with turkeys.  There are three flocks in a 2 mile stretch, jakes, long beards and hens . They have traffic at a stand still all the time.  No city hunting!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:18:28 pm by JEB »

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:05 am »
Maybe they thought it was a squirrel.  If it was bobcat-sized, they may have had a different attitude!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 08:35:42 am »
There really no bother around here.Although there must be a fair amount of them as I here them come down from and go up to roost most times I'm in a stand deer hunting.Lots of turkey poop on the woods floor too.I got one this spring for Thanksgiving but it would'nt hurt to get another.Pretty unlikey but you never know.Got myself a tag anyway.Had a chance some time ago at one but a doe was in the area at the same time.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:06:20 am »
We never had any when I was a kid. Like Jeb said they are thick around here now. Don't seem to make to much trouble except for the in the spring. When the corn is just coming up and small they go right down the row and dig every plant up. A couple years ago my brother tried planting some corn in his food plot. He couldn't figure out why none of it came up. I told him it came up. Showed him the plants laying everywhere that the turkeys dug up. This time of year I think they mostly eat bugs but they eat lots of different stuff
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:15:45 am »
I used to have that problem a week after planting corn only with ground squirrels in NW Iowa.Badgers got after them then.I rarely ever killed a badger because of his holes.If I ever plowed though it would be amazing the numbers of ground squirrels in the final strip of ground.
Around here the turkey are'nt a bother with corn planting that much.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:13 am »
I imagine your corn grows faster in the spring then ours does Ed. That probably helps. Might be more stuff around for them to eat than here to not sure but they can leave some pretty big bare areas around here. Ours had a second hatch again this year.
That cat kinda has that disgusting look like when the barn swallows are dive bombing them. Total frustration.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:03:29 am »
This pic reminds me of when we lived in Bluffton, SC. We had a cat, Kiki Dee(former mouser) and one day we saw her is a sneak. Down the street was 2 buzzards eating some kind of road kill. We watched Kiki for about a half hour slowly, stealthily sneak up on the buzzards. She got within a few feet then stood up, turned and walked away. I guess she realized they were bigger than she expected.
 I bet those turkeys have eaten critters almost as big as the cat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 02:19:48 pm »
I don't think our corn grows any faster really BJ.It is usually 3"to4" deep when planted though.Could be our birds have other things to eat.One time around here anyway after lime was spread on top before it was disked in the turkeys did clean up a bunch of that.
I've seen large hatches of these too along the driveway.The ones pictured are just a bachelor group.
I'm surprised more of those cats don't disappear because of the owls and hawks around here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:03 pm »
I'd love to have birds like that in my backyard. Darn dog has scared um all away.  ::)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 08:59:46 am »
Have a mckinzie hen out in back the cat will jump and play with it,1 then one day a few turkeys came up from the creek and the cat wanted to play,well he took a good flogging and wont even play with the target now.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 07:20:23 am »
That's hilarious ohma2!!!Liked to have seen that happen.
BowEd
Ed