Author Topic: Making a Snake (finished pics on pg 5)  (Read 19073 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Making a Snake
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »
Just keeps getting better Jeff. I think mine came with four if I remember correctly. I like the
One you were using and a curved rectangular one to. That's gonna be a sweet snaky bow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 06:46:32 pm »
Its looking like a bow.  Good job
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 06:50:43 pm »
Thank you guys. I think mine came with 3 BJ.

OO, if it turns out even half as cool as your coral skinned bow I'll be happy.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 04:59:43 am »
Oh my this is gonna be good!  (-P

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 07:42:02 am »
Very cool build Jeff.  I guess your patience is pretty high after those r/d bows, so why not tackle a project like this....Keep it up  (-P

Offline gifford

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:59 am »
Super looking splice job. Never tried that many cuts before, Kudos for setting the a high bar.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 08:46:27 am »
Your splice interests me. In the splice layout picture you have four fingers. How wide are they? How many will be left when you reduce the handle to final dimensions? I like the idea of the short splice. Its always bothered me to have the splice end right where the handle necks down for the arrow pass. How much fiddling did you do between sawing the fingers and boiling and clamping?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:48 am »
Looks very intriguing!  And difficult!  Hope you pull it off :BB.  I got a long way to go try even think about trying that - I'm watching (-P!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:29 am »
Nice build-a-long Jeff.It's always a time consuming deal chasing rings with those concave backs. (-P (-P
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 12:14:29 pm »
I like your splice too,, I have never seen that,,  (SH)

Offline RandyN

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 12:34:18 pm »
This is a very cool project. I am looking forward to the finished snaky bow. Great idea to boil the splice before glue. You came out with a much tighter fitting splice than I have been able to get.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 03:23:53 pm »
Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one.  It'll be neat to see the journey!  Especially when it comes to how you tackle the tillering.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 07:40:20 pm »
Don, the total width of the spliced section is 1.25" wide. That means each finger is 5/16" at its widest point. The only fiddling I do in between the initial cutting and the boil/clamp is just enough to get the fingers 90-95% interlocked. I do this very carefully by taking off minuscule amounts of wood, just barley touching the insides of the fingers against the running bandsaw blade. The great thing about this method is that almost none of the spliced area is removed when shaping the handle. Just a bit of the outside fingers get thinned towards the belly side. I've never had one fail.  :OK

I'm really glad you guys are getting some entertainment out of the build. I epoxied the splice early this evening, so everything's all clamped up until tomorrow. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 10:06:21 am »
Good work, Jeff.
Will follow with interest.
The staves/billets are exceptional.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 06:37:01 pm »
Epoxy in the splice is cured, so I unclamped and glued a piece of paduk underneath.

Nigerian Proverb