Author Topic: Species id help please  (Read 2443 times)

Limbit

Re: Species id help please
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 04:42:12 am »
Bryce, the mock orange you mention is interesting and probably correct. Mock orange that I am used to is murray paniculata. Also a great bow wood, but definitely not what he cut. I looked into what you posted and that is probably it. The leaves look serrated though in the pics online and I can't 100% tell from the video if the one he found is. Best bet so far though. Seems like it ought to be good wood too.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 08:00:29 am »
Ah Bryce, thanks for weighing in on this.  I posted YouTube links to what I found because I don't know how to post video here otherwise. There seems to be some confusion. That last pic I posted is of syringa, found on the internet, posted to compare against the mystery wood. It's not the wood I found, but rather it's a known example of syringa which looks nothing like what I found.

Limbit, the leaves on what I found are not serrated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:04:03 am by Taxus brevifolia »

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 08:08:52 am »
Here's a screen grab of what I found

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:21 am »
Looks like honeysuckle to me, the leaves, bark, and how it is growing, all look like the stuff I have cut in the past.

Be careful and can check really easily, best time that I have found to cut it is the dead of winter then it’s easy to keep in check :P
Sometimes I’ve found it with some dark honey brown “heartwood” but I don’t think it is actual “heartwood” my suspicion is mineral staining.

It’s not a bad idea to rough them out now, just take some wood off the belly that’ll keep any checking on the belly where it won’t matter to much.

I have(or had) a writ up on what I do to season and work it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it for you.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
Thanks Dylan I really appreciate it!