Author Topic: Help solve mystery  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Help solve mystery
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:01:56 pm »
A friend was asked to try to identify this gun. It is a small(childs?) cap lock muzzle loader with Damascus barrel(I think). Looks like maybe .40 cal, has a bead front sight and no rear sight. The stock has a face carved on the pistol grip. On the barrel is stamped, Troxado De Aco or Troxado Draco on the top and Belgium forward of that. Here are the pics I have. Can get more if necessary. Any help will be appreciated.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

Re: Help solve mystery
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:32:43 pm »
Pat, cant be 100% for sure but ya could have a Spanish (Eibar). I found some examples that are ornately carved like yours. I'm attaching a direct link to a PDF that is a complete listing w/ pictures of the Eibar region museum....if inappropriate ya know what to do. here are a couple of pics from the museum publication....I cant read Spanish so dont know how much it will help.

https://www.scribd.com/document/367919731/0007-pdf

and some pics from the doc. I have to see if I can get the pics to load but thety are on pages 65-67 of the doc in case I cant figure it out
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:41:41 pm »
try the pics again

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »
Thanks, Rich. This gun is a child's gun and not as finely crafted as the pics you posted. I'll pass the link on to my friend so he can investigate it.
 This gun also has a ramrod, about 1/4" in diameter with a patch "grip" on one end and the ram for a conical projectile on the other.
 I'll try to get a few more pics.
Thanks for the info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:06:27 am »
Post the pictures on the American Longrifles site in the antiques section, the guys will tell you all about the gun.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:56 am »
Thanks Eric. I'll let my friend know. I knew I'd get some answers here.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 09:07:01 am »
I've seen some in .41 caliber smooth bore that were similar and were traded to Natives in Africa. They were not very well made.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:46:22 am »
Eddie, this one doesn't seem well made except for the carving.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 07:13:59 pm »
Troxado de Aco.  Portuguese?
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 09:59:49 pm »
Steve, trying to figure the nationality of the gun is a mystery. Trying to read the inscription on the barrel is another.
 Troxado Draco(if googled) is a European(?) yucca type plant.
I was at Holland's house tonight for TG dinner and forgot to ask if he found any other info about the gun. Other conversations dominated.   ::)