Author Topic: Red oak board bow  (Read 4405 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Red oak board bow
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 06:40:12 am »
Looks good Paul. That's a informative FB group.

Thanks Paul, that's the main reason Mikey and I started that group was to get some positive info out on board bows. I actually had a guy tell me they were only good for kids bows and would never hold up at a hunting weight lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 06:55:51 am »
A lot of people need to start off with board bows, they teach one a lot about wood removal and tillering.

Nice bow, well tillered.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 07:57:46 am »
Well done

Offline RandyN

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 08:22:01 am »
Very nice bow. Well done.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 09:00:23 am »
Very nice work bubby.It's fun putting myths to rest.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 09:23:37 am »
Another great bow, Bubby!  That also reminds me of the r/d red oak board longbow you posted I think about a year ago.  It just shows that you can do some nice things with a good oak board.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
These good looking/performing red oak board bows are now routine for Bubster. And many others are doing similarly.
We, of course, have Bubby and Jawge to thank for the info/experience shared with aspiring bowyers around the world.
But there's tens, if not hundreds, of folk here on PA who have inspired others to make their 1st bows. And then their 2nd. And then . . . .

I vaguely remember reading a thread from several years ago focused on a red oak board bow challenge on PA.
As I recall, the idea was to send your completed bow to a central point and a couple fellas would evaluate them on various attributes. Some of those bows were so iffy that evaluators were more than a bit hesitant about shooting 'em.   :o
Today, there's so much info and knowledgeable folk available to lend willing hands that it's virtually impossible (except for me) to make a unsafe rocket launcher.
Each of you on PA has made positive contributions to this state of affairs and, rightfully, should give yourselves a "job well done" pat on the back.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:12 pm »
Bub very nice on that one. You sure have done a lot with this style of bow to help guys get going on their first couple. that's not to downplay that these are very effective weapons regardless of what some of the guys say about board bows

Offline bassman

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:36 pm »
Nice bow , but you are shooting it from the wrong side. Lefty that is. Only people in our right minds.