Author Topic: Couple of factory seconds  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Couple of factory seconds
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:33:14 pm »
Found a box of knives I never got around to finishing.  Found new homes for these two factory seconds. I stamp rhe steel flavor on the tang, but after sitting in a box for a long time I've lost track.  Both are just belt finished, my shoulder gives me issues if I spend too much time hand sanding.

Carbon steel, most likely 1084, 59-60 HRC, heat treated by Peters.  Bocote and Paduak handle with red liners.  4.5 inch cutting length, ground to a zero bevel then shsrpened to 20° per side.

This one might be 52100 carbon steel, 59-60 HRC, also heat treated by Peters.  Bocote handle with green and black liners.  (Edit)SaberFlat ground and then sharpened to 20° per side.  I was trying something different with the center pin and did sort of a hidden pin then filled it with epoxy and ground up charcoal, not really caring for the result.

Shot of the liners

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:38:19 pm by dieselcheese »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Couple of factory seconds
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »
Nice looking knives. Those don't look like seconds to me.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:44:11 am »
Real nice!  I agree with Trapper!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »
Thanks guys.  There's a couple of tarnish spots here and there and overall things just didn't come out the way I wanted them to when I started them, plus I can guarantee the steel is carbon and that it was professionally heat treated but can't guarantee the alloy.  I've got some more "factory seconds", once I get them cleaned up a little I'll throw them in the for trade section.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:47:06 am »
DANG!!!

Yeah, those are lovely!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.