Author Topic: gripping a Dbow  (Read 3440 times)

Offline StickMark

gripping a Dbow
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:45:43 pm »
Where do you guys grip your bendy handle, or slight bend in handle, bows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: gripping a Dbow
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:49:54 pm »
I make symmetrical bows with the center of the handle the center of the bow. I grip the handle with my middle finger on the center point with the arrow pass across my hand, about 1 1/2" or so above center.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:51:48 pm »
Does the lower limb get stressed more?  I notice my lower limbs take about a half inch or so more set.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:27:21 am »
Leave the lower limb a bit stronger.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »
I do the same as Pat. I do keep the better limb to the bottom. It should balance in my hand when I draw though. Sometimes I just have to keep shooting and flipping them over to figure out which way it seems to shoot best if their isn't a noticeable difference.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:13 am »
If you build without a shelf you can do like BJ said and flip it occasionally to keep the tiller even.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:58:45 am »
I like to build my bendy handle bows so that they are neither left or right handed, no upper or lower limb, perfectly symmetrical. That way I can put a small burn mark on either side for the arrow pass and never worry about anything but grabbing up the bow and shooting.

My grip for a bendy bow is different than a stiff handled bow. For a stiff grip, I hold it like I hold the handle of a suitcase, four fingers wrapped around, thumb wrapped around and a loose grip.   For a bendy, I don't really even really grip the bow with my hand wrapped around.  I put the bow into the web between thumb and pointer finger, and give it a pinch while pulling back the string.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.