Author Topic: Draw weight for 20.5" draw, hunting deer  (Read 3136 times)

Offline StickMark

Draw weight for 20.5" draw, hunting deer
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:27 pm »
Background information:  following advice from an earlier post regards draw length, I had my girlfriend video me shooting a  hickory bow.  I videoed myself as well.  Over the course of three weekends, inside and in nature, I consistently released at 20.5 inches.  I am pulling and releasing when it feels right, and the groups are good, and I am stumping great.  The draw weight was about 43-44#, and then I piked a bit, from an initial length of 50.25 to 49 .  At 20.5 inches the draw weight is now about 47.5-48 pounds.

My question: Is that enough draw weight for that short "powerstroke'?  I hunt smaller coues whitetail, and some desert mulies.  Arrows are around 450-475 grains, with grizzly 160 grain single bevel heads.  So, @ 10 gpp.

Trying to avoid getting too caught up in the measuring.  I just decided to shoot, and let my girlfriend video, and shoot like I like to shoot.  Shocked to not get to 23", and while I can hold a bit for 22", the 20.5 is my quick shot draw length.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Draw weight for 20.5" draw, hunting deer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:10:38 am »
If you're hitting you aiming spot consistently, you should have enough penetration with razor sharp broad heads. What sort of penetration are getting on your target?  Might try filling a plastic milk bottle with gelatin to get an idea.  What range are you considering as your most accurate distance?  Also, what poundage does your game laws require?  Some of the more experienced Hunter's will probably have better input, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:13:20 am »
 More than enough...Shot placement as you described, makes it more than lethal...+ good arrow flight is the key to penetration...
                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:46:23 am »
I would use a cut on contact 2 blade broadhead
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:49:49 am »
Paul Bruner did a test on single blade cut on contact broadheads opposed to multi blade ones. The singles took 4# of pressure to  penetrate a green deer hide, the multi blade took up to 45# depending on the model with chisel tip being the worst.

You are in good shape with your setup and should get complete penetration on a deer if you you use a Zwicky or magnus type broadhead.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:55:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies. 
I keep videoing, and the draw length worked out to around 21.5 or so  inches, at a draw weight of 46-47 pounds.  21.5  inches!  I am still amazed at that, and the advice to just shoot and have someone video was excellent. 

I noticed that 46-48 pounds is my sweet zone; 47 is the real sweet zone where it all comes together.  Works with the typical mulefat arrows' average weight.

I am hoping the single bevels work out. 
One week to bow season here.  Merry Christmas.