Author Topic: working on Assyrian bow  (Read 22250 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: working on Assyrian bow
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:34 pm »
Nice background accoutraments of the banjo and gourds there Lee.Did you make the banjo too and do you make bird houses out of those gourds?
Some close up pics of your bow would be nice.Looks good though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 04:55:52 am »
Nice background accoutraments of the banjo and gourds there Lee.Did you make the banjo too and do you make bird houses out of those gourds?
Some close up pics of your bow would be nice.Looks good though.
Yes I make banjo or guitar banjo for friends but only a few people in China play it.
More pics of this bow.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 07:05:56 am »
My friend tested it with a traditional style release. The difference between upper and lower brace heights is only 5mm and the bending curve is perfect.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:35 am »
Very nice bow!  Your banjo is also a very nice job!  Welcome to PA.  We call those gourds "bird house gourds" drill a hole for whatever size bird you wish to attract, seal them, and put them in a tree!  I have to rebuild my trellis before I can plant more, though.  What string material are you using?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:49 am »
Very nice bow!  Your banjo is also a very nice job!  Welcome to PA.  We call those gourds "bird house gourds" drill a hole for whatever size bird you wish to attract, seal them, and put them in a tree!  I have to rebuild my trellis before I can plant more, though.  What string material are you using?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
It’s a cool use of gourds. For my bow I use FF string and for my banjo I use nylon string.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 06:42:48 pm »
Nice pictures of your bow being shot.I believe.I can see the positive tiller being shown at full draw as your top limb is bending more.I've read in Adam Karpowizs' book shooting with FF string can be hazordous to the tips on horn bows with siyahs.
Like the decoratve dragon fly shown on the banjo.Is that on some sort of rawhide?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 11:54:52 pm »
Very nice dragonfly!  Very nice banjo, as I said!  I am a somewhat harp player, my wife, Jacie, is an excellent fiddler and tenor guitar player! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 12:49:33 am »
Very nice dragonfly!  Very nice banjo, as I said!  I am a somewhat harp player, my wife, Jacie, is an excellent fiddler and tenor guitar player! 
Hawkdancer
wow,a sparkle family!

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 12:55:58 am »
Nice pictures of your bow being shot.I believe.I can see the positive tiller being shown at full draw as your top limb is bending more.I've read in Adam Karpowizs' book shooting with FF string can be hazordous to the tips on horn bows with siyahs.
Like the decoratve dragon fly shown on the banjo.Is that on some sort of rawhide?

The FF string is stabler than nylon or dyneema. Yes it’s sheep hide.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 06:03:19 am »
I use FF all the time too on my self bows & sinewed bows too.Even on higher reflexed horn bows too but horn bows are 58 to 60 inches long though.The theory is that FF is a stiffer material[less stretch] to cause more trauma to the tips slamming home on shorter limbed bows with higher dry fire speed.
It does'nt happen right away on the bow I've heard but does after enough shots are taken.
BowEd
Ed

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:20 am »
I use FF all the time too on my self bows & sinewed bows too.Even on higher reflexed horn bows too but horn bows are 58 to 60 inches long though.The theory is that FF is a stiffer material[less stretch] to cause more trauma to the tips slamming home on shorter limbed bows with higher dry fire speed.
It does'nt happen right away on the bow I've heard but does after enough shots are taken.

maybe adding some leather in the nock socket will help.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 07:04:29 am »
Yes.I've never had it happen myself here.I use overlay horn on tips.I'm quoting what Adam Karpowiz stated and I'm pretty sure he puts leather inserts in tip nocks.
I think it's more concerning on higher poundage bows over 90 pounds.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:01:45 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bassman

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 04:05:01 am »
You guys are real bow builders.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2019, 10:45:09 pm »
great bow.  I am impressed.