Author Topic: Elm warbow 76" 155# @30"  (Read 12371 times)

Offline JNystrom

Re: Elm warbow 76" 155# @30"
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 11:58:22 am »
With a 77" bow that would be 102 minutes! 2min * (77"/ 1,5") = 102.
Most of the time i end up spendin 20-40 minutes heat treating a bow. 40 minutes if its as thick as this one. Basically you just want to get the wood hot through out. I share the same opinion about heat treating as Steve Gardner (Badger) for example, you just need to get the wood hot, quite nothing else matters. What i've heard Steve likes to move the heat gun all the time heating the whole limb at a time. I have my heat gun stationary on a handy wooden stand. Sometimes i have two heat guns which makes the process faster. While you don't need that black or brown color, just get the wood so hot through out that you cant comfortably touch the back of the bow, i don't care too much if i happen to scorch a little. Its more cosmetic in my opinion as anything else, maybe a even light brown color would be the most beautiful for my eye. Elm becomes really beautiful after heat treating and finish.
Here is a picture of one of my elm flight bow, quite dark heat treatment and tung oil. The other bow is a dull looking norwegian maple longbow. You can see the difference of color between these two woods .

Oh and about adding poundage, i think if you do the heat treatment early to a fresh wood, you get the most out of heat treating. It might just be you don't spend up enough time heat treating. Enough long is when you get as bored about it as me and make a wooden stand for your heat gun. :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:04:54 pm by JNystrom »

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 12:14:33 pm »
Wow, that elm looks like tigers eye gemstone,  8),
(I'll be looking out for an elm stave  :))

R.D.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 02:35:34 am »
How does you process looks like? I did first and only time heat treatment on some hazel bow and bow got brownish color after couple of minutes per lets say 1.5" of length. It seemed that it didn't anything regarding poundage increase or set decrease aside from nice smell.
Yup, that's just too hot too quick....
If it takes less than about 45 mins per limb you are going too quick. It's more like a slow bake than a quick fry  :)
This post shows my set up with a heat gun.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2014/08/heat-treating-belly-billets.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »
Thanks JNystrom and Del for advice.

Del, how much you put heat gun away from bow and on what temperature? I have two fan speeds on mine.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47:06 pm »
   I move the heat back and forth over the whole limb. I think it gives it a chance to for the heat to penetrate and I also think it is much faster. I heat the belly until the back is too hot too touch. I only get a very slight change in color but don't worry if the belly browns a little. On a 77" bow I might break my heating up into 3rds.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 01:11:31 am »
Thanks JNystrom and Del for advice.

Del, how much you put heat gun away from bow and on what temperature? I have two fan speeds on mine.
I have it on high about 3-4" away.
Watch this V short vid, it shows what adding side cheeks does in terms of spreading the heat along the bow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1_A2A0_TI
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 10:18:41 am »
Thank you Del. Is that low heat? Like I said my gun doesn't have heat modes, just two speeds, low and high.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:54 am »
Thank you Del. Is that low heat? Like I said my gun doesn't have heat modes, just two speeds, low and high.
It's got a 2 position switch... that's on 2 which is hotter and faster speed. It's just a cheapo 2kw hot air gun.
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »
Ok, so same as mine really then. Now I know what to do. Thanks again.