Author Topic: Shaft spine reduction ?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Little John

Shaft spine reduction ?
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:23 am »
I have about 4 dozen 3/8 inch 85-95# shafts that were given to me years ago. I know I can never shoot a bow heavy enough to use these shafts and am trying to come up with a plan for them, Maybe sand or thumb plane them down to 23/64" or so and a more manageable spine, just seems like it would be difficult to get consistant results. Maybe leave full length and shoot 200 gr points? Maybe some war bow shooter could use them? Any ideas?
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shaft spine reduction ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:09:50 am »
Kenneth, for each inch over 28" the effective spine will reduce by 5# per inch and anything over 125gr point will reduce the spine by 5# per 25grs over 125gr. You can also sand the center 1/3 of the arrow to reduce the spine. Maybe check it in a drill motor and spin it while sanding. Take this method slowly and check the spine often.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
I worked on one with a thumb plane and sanding block, got it to 65# and fairly round and straight. Finished and shot it and a good shooter. I guess if you have the time and patience they can be hunting or practice arrows.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:04 pm »
Good luck with them.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:36:47 am »
Thanks Pat for the advice and tips, I worked on another one with the drill motor and 60 grit sand paper wrapped around the shaft. The shaft came down quickly to 75# and then down just as easy and quickly to 65#. I moved the sandpaper back and forth from center to the end then switched end for end till I had the spine I wanted, tried to taper the ends for point and plastic nock but the diameter was still too big, so I worked more on both ends for about 10 inches till they worked perfect with my 11/32 end taper tool. So I ended up with the spine I wanted and a custom barrel tapered arrow. The kind you have to pay extra for from three rivers or custom arrow outfits. Now to seal and fletch it up for testing. Cheers.                  Kenneth
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:18:21 am by Little John »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:59 am »
 :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 12:00:53 pm »
Something to keep in the back of your mind. I was spining some arrows like that and found that spinning them in the drill with sandpaper heated the shafts enough so that when you hung the spining weight on them they took a bit of permanent bend. Mine were down in the 40# range so they bent a lot easier so it may not be an issue for you.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:55:02 pm »
Thanks DC I will be sure not to get them too hot or at least let them cool.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 04:49:35 pm »
Thanks DC I will be sure not to get them too hot or at least let them cool.
I mentioned this before and Pappy suggested that I scrape them rather than sand. It works well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 03:40:18 pm »
As DC said I usually scrape mine and may sand just a bit to smooth things out once I get them like I want them. Love making heavy arrow into something I can use, just takes time but with a little practice and patients you can get a matches set of arrows every time. Good luck with yours Kenneth. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
Thanks Pappy I will give it a try, never thought of doing it that way.
                                                                                                         Kenneth